Personalized Community is here!
Quickly customize your community to find the content you seek.
Choose your path Increase your proficiency with the Dynamics 365 applications that you already use and learn more about the apps that interest you. Up your game with a learning path tailored to today's Dynamics 365 masterminds and designed to prepare you for industry-recognized Microsoft certifications.
Visit Microsoft Learn
2020 Release Wave 2Discover the latest updates and new features to Dynamics 365 planned through March 2021.
Release overview guides and videos Release Plan | Preview 2020 Release Wave 2 TimelineWatch the 2020 Release Wave 1 virtual launch event
Ace your Dynamics 365 deployment with packaged services delivered by expert consultants. | Explore service offerings
Connect with the ISV success team on the latest roadmap, developer tool for AppSource certification, and ISV community engagements | ISV self-service portal
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks
I am working on introducing a customer portal for a local council who currently have
- Dynamics CRM 2013 (on-premise and supported in-house) mastering external customers and case data
- Forms (third party solution - firmstep)
- CMS (third party solution - zengenti)
- Bi-directional Integration service (in-house developed Web API)
There are also plans to introduce Azure (logic apps, service bus and azure B2C for identity management)
In an ideal world i would love to consider ADXstudio but assume not an option as a retired product.
That points me towards Microsoft Portals, but this requires an upgrade to Dynamics 365
The timescales for the Dynamics upgrade is end of 2017 (that may be 2016 in-premise or 365) and i need a Portal in by September 2017
I then thought about spinning up a Dynamics 365 instance (purely for the Portal) in the cloud and use a data synchronisation tool (SSIS with Kingsway add-on or Scribe for example) and running until such time we have upgrade, but this is costly sand complex
My current thinking is to look to implement Azure B2C for sign-up, sign-in, profile management & password resets, utilising our in-house integration service (integration to and from Dynamics) and Dynamics 2013 to house the customer data.
My questions really are
1) any other options i maybe should consider re, Portal
2) data synchronisation option (2013 on-prem to Dynamics 365)
3) Azure B2C - is this a viable option, do i need to migrate the integration service into a DMZ (currently internal) or migrate as an Azure API app?
4) Azure B2C - would prefer the email address/password approach - can we invite our existing customer base (who have a primary email address stored on the contact record) to register?
4) Azure B2C - at some point when we upgrade our Dynamics CRM what happens to the usernames and passwords? can i easily migrate them - does the end-user have to re-register or simply reset password or do nothing!
Thanks in advance
Here is some info that might help your research:
1) Other options:
a) You might want to take a look at The Portal Connector www.crmportalconnector.com as it will work with Dynamics CRM 2013 and above
b) Not recommended, but Microsoft is releasing v8 portal source code on a one-time drop under MIT license as a placeholder for onpremise implementations, it *might* work on CRM 2013 but would not be supported.
2) Data synchronization, you are on the right track with Kingsway or Scribe, another option that I am just starting to work with is a tool from Colbalt Company called "Migration Dynamics" www.cobalt.net/migrationdynamics The tool is meant to keep your onpremise and new online CRM in sync while you transition.
3) Azure AD B2C is on the portals roadmap, https://roadmap.dynamics.com/ -> search "portals", I think for spring release, I am sure more info is coming.
4) Current portal functionality has ability to invite existing contacts
Hope some of this info helps!
Also, I wrote a blog on different portal options here:
If you are still looking for a portal for on-premise let me know or get in touch at www.webcurl.co.uk/crm-portals
Business Applications communities