Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / Starting a career as M...
Finance forum
Suggested answer

Starting a career as Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O

Posted on by 5
Hi all,

I am thinking to make a career change and work as a Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O Consultant, currently I work as a Finance Manager in a multinacional company in their share service center.

From your opinion and experience what is the best way to start this process? Should I go for a paid training course? If yes what training do you suggest?

Thanks,

Filipe
Categories:
  • Ivanna Profile Picture
    Ivanna 8 on at
    Hi Filipe,

Your finance background is a great foundation for a career in Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O. I recommend gaining practical experience to complement your existing skills. For this, you can consider exploring opportunities listed under Microsoft Dynamics jobs, which cater specifically to Dynamics roles. Networking in Dynamics communities and user groups can also provide valuable insights and opportunities. Although the learning curve might be steep initially, your finance expertise, coupled with Dynamics 365 knowledge, will be highly valuable.

Good luck!
  • André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 285,583 Super User on at
    Hi Filipe,

Can you elaborate on what you mean with "365 Talent in the UK"? Based on the material it could be helpful for your. Try to find content that gives an overview on the solutions first. Then you can exlplore feature by feature. 
  • Frank Hamelly | MVP, MCP, CSA Profile Picture
    Frank Hamelly | MVP... 3,698 Super User on at
    D365 Talent is a recruiting/onboarding module.  
  • Starting a career as Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O
    Hi all,

First at all, thanks for your feedback!

I am from Portugal, I have almost 10 years experience in Finance (Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger, reporting, etc), but without any experience in Dynamics 365.

I'm not sure if it's worth investing in a course like 365 Talent in the UK. I know there is a lot of training material, But isn't it difficult to gain knowledge on my own?

Thanks!

Filipe
  • Suggested answer
    Kevin Xia Profile Picture
    Kevin Xia Microsoft Employee on at
    Hi,
    • Before embarking on the career change, try to immerse yourself in learning about Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O solution. Read relevant documentation, study materials, and case studies to develop a deeper understanding of the system’s functionalities and applications. Link to official documentation: Finance and operations application documentation - Finance & Operations | Dynamics 365 | Microsoft Learn.
    • Seek opportunities to gain practical experience in Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O. You can try to participate in projects where you can learn and enhance your skills through practice.
    • Your experience in financial management may be a major advantage when looking for a Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O Consultant job.
    Best regards,
    Kevin
  • Suggested answer
    Frank Hamelly | MVP, MCP, CSA Profile Picture
    Frank Hamelly | MVP... 3,698 Super User on at
    As Andre stated, without knowing your background and experience, it's hard to advise you.  Many Microsoft Dynamics resellers offer 'boot camp' type training for new hires and produce associate consultants who work under more senior consultants to gain skills and experience.  Other consultants start out as employees of a company who've been involved with a recent implementation and gain experience that way.  Starting from ground zero with no practical experience with F&O would be challenging, but could be done with the myriad training resources available.
  • André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 285,583 Super User on at
    Hi Filipe,

This question was asked multiple times before on this forum. You might use the search functionality for some more insights. It is hard to say how and where to start as you didn't mention if you already have experience with Dynamics 365 or not. We also don't know your location to be able to suggest what other form of training would be offered in your region.
    You can make yourself familiar with learning and certification programs on the next page: Dynamics 365 training courses and certification | Microsoft Learn

In addition, this community site offers links to learning resources and blogs. Some sections are currently not up to date as this forum just moved to a new platform (Power Pages) and not all features, like syndicating blogs (RSS feeds) from other sources, are implemented.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

First Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Don't miss the first D365 Community Call on 7/10!

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 285,583 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,485 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans