Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Answered

AX2012 Tracking Dimension - Active in Sales Process

Posted on by 2,695

We do not currently use the serial number storage dimension in AX2009, but we would like to use the 'Active in Sales Process' in AX2012.  During the upgrade pre-processing, I see that new tracking dimensions are created and assigned, but no setup options are available.  Is there an opportunity during the upgrade to set the tracking dimension settings the way I want? 

Thanks!

Categories:
  • lispyj Profile Picture
    lispyj 2,695 on at
    RE: AX2012 Tracking Dimension - Active in Sales Process

Ahhh!   There is an Action Button for changing the Dimension Group.  Yes, it does work as you describe.  Thanks!

• Verified answer
    Guy Terry Profile Picture
    Guy Terry 28,395 on at

> The dimension group on the Released Products form is greyed out

You change it using the 'Dimension group' button on the Ribbon bar ('Product group' tab -> 'Setup' area).

• lispyj Profile Picture
    lispyj 2,695 on at

Hmmm.  This is not the behavior that I am seeing, but I think that there is something else in play.  Once I have created an item, I cannot seem to change the tracking dimension group, even when there are no transactions.  The dimension group on the Released Products form is greyed out.  There is no tracking dimension group on the Product form, but the tracking dimension is also greyed out there.  Any idea what might be the problem?  I will do some debugging to see if I can find out what is disabling the control on the form.

Thanks for all of the assistance!

LJ

• Verified answer
    André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 288,768 Super User on at

Hi,

After the upgrade you can create a new Tracking dimension group e.g. called SerialSale where you enable the option Active in sales process for the serial number. (Don't enable the option 'Active')

You can then change the Tracking dimension groups on all items to use this new group even if there are transactions. This is because there is no change on which inventory transactions are to be used for these items.

I just tested this in a R3 environment for items which had the Tracking dimension group 'None' and transactions. So a brute force is not needed, but may the Force be with you... ;)

• lispyj Profile Picture
    lispyj 2,695 on at

I need to make this work on items with transactions.  I can't change the product numbers because of limitations in Dynamics.  In ax 2009, the dimension group can be changed for storage dimensions if there are no open transactions, so switching before the upgrade is an option.  But, if I can't make sure the setting is correct, it doesn't do any good.  Does anyone have any brute force ideas?

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

As per my understanding, No during upgrade you will not be able to serial number storage dimension as it was not enabled in AX 2009

You need to enable it once you get upgraded to AX 2012

moreover you need to take care of this also

If a product has transactions, the storage dimension group and the tracking dimension group cannot be changed. However, if the product is not used in any transactions, the following rules apply:

• For a shared product, the storage dimension group and the tracking dimension group can be changed if the product has not been released.

• For a released product, you must follow these steps to change the storage dimension group and the tracking dimension group:

1. Delete the setup of the storage dimension group and the tracking dimension group for the shared instance of the product.

2. Delete the setup of the storage dimension group and the tracking dimension group for the released instance or instances of the product.

3. Select a new storage dimension group and a new tracking dimension group for the shared instance of the product.

The new storage dimension group and the new tracking dimension group are replicated in the released instance or instances of the product.

Please verify and update us with your findings

• lispyj Profile Picture
    lispyj 2,695 on at

I have a test system that has been fully upgraded and I cannot change either the tracking dimension group for active items or the tracking dimension group configuration setting ' Active in Sales Process'.  I can see where the tracking dimension group is created in preprocessing, but the configuration page is not available.  I can't recall whether I had any option to change the configuration further in the upgrade process.  Even if the serial dimension was enabled in AX2009, the 'active is Sales Process' option isn't there, so I can't imagine that it would get automatically created correctly. 

• André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 288,768 Super User on at

Hi,

During a standard upgrade AX will create and assign the new Tracking dimension group based on the Dimension group setup in AX2009. You need to test if it would allow you to change the setting after the upgrade to have the serial number available on the sales process. I have not done that before. Probably it will be allowed as the Active in sales process is not storing inventory dimensions on the inventory transactions itself.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,768 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,985 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans