Skip to main content

Notifications

Business Central forum
Answered

OData API Web Service Availability?

Posted on by 571
Using BC 365 SaaS v24.0 here. In a sandbox environment I have quite a few unbound OData API web service endpoints. Some of these will be used for inserting new records, due to some complexity making the configuration package option ungainly. These all were developed well over 2 years ago and have tested out fine over that time.

The primary challenge I am running into is when batching my records through these API requests I sporadically run into operation timeout errors. Sometimes I can test out creating a couple hundred records, hitting their supplementary tables, and all goes through fine. Other times after hitting maybe a dozen records the operation timeouts creep in. Based on analyzing things with Fiddler I can see it's a server side error. It's not like my client has lost network connectivity or anything. The Microsoft side has timed out processing the call and passing back a response. And I know it's probably not an API call limit being hit, since I am staggering API calls to maybe one request a second.

Is this quirk due to these calls hitting a sandbox environment? I know that specs are higher quality when it comes to a production environment and all. Where this will cause problems is our go-live implementation was meant to involve first porting in all data into our sandbox environment, then taking all those recordsets, bundling them into configuration packages, and then applying them to our production environment. 
Categories:
  • Verified answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 63,013 Super User on at
  • Greg Kujawa Profile Picture
    Greg Kujawa 571 on at
    Thanks for the response. I did read these over awhile back, and I don't believe any of them apply. My API requests are at a rate of 1 call/second. And the sandbox envrionment allows 5 calls/second and production allows 10 calls/second. The operation timeouts are typically returned after about 100 seconds, while the listed threshold is 8 minutes. Each API call is hitting identical endpoints with similar data payloads. So when certain records timeout it's not like something huge is being thrown at the server...
  • Suggested answer
    Valentin Castravet Profile Picture
    Valentin Castravet 6,365 Super User on at
    I would review the operational limits and see if perhaps you reached any - Operation Limits in Dynamics 365 Business Central - Business Central | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,425 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans