Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Answered

Event on form close

Posted on by 6,603

Happy Friday! I know some of us, myself included, have checked mentally and have already started the weekend but I thought I would risk the question.

I need to add a modification to the WMSBillOfLadingCarrier form in order to trigger custom code to recalculate total weight for given a BOL number in order to update WMSBillOfLadingOrder. Should I override the finalize or close methods on the form? In which case I'm uncertain if doing so will bypass some current function. Or should I override the validateWrite method on WMSBillOfLadingCarrier?

I'm wondering what best practices are for this situation, and what other recommendations may there be?

Thanks very much!

• Denis Macchinetti Profile Picture
    Denis Macchinetti 16,444 on at
    RE: Event on form close

Hi

As per my understanding, you have to update the total weight on WMSBillOfLadingOrder table as the total weight from the WMSBillOfLadingCarrier by BOL Id.

If this is the requirement, you can simple run the example code on my above post on CloseOk method.

I don't think is necessary to track the modified records.

Regards

• bankk Profile Picture
    bankk 6,603 on at

Hi, I think the one thing which stood out as a question for me was how I would have to track the BOL's which have been modified. On the BOL carrier screen I can modify multiple BOL lines prior to closing the form. I'd have to track the list and access it from the CloseOK(). With this in mind, it made more sense to let each line update and trigger the recalc code. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the logic. Thanks in advance.

• Suggested answer
    Denis Macchinetti Profile Picture

Hi

The right place in my opinion is in the CloseOk Form Method.

So override the CloseOk form method and move your code inside, like :

public void closeOk()

{

WMSBillOfLadingCarrier  wmsBillOfLadingCarrier;

WMSBillOfLadingOrder    wmsBillOfLadingOrder;

super();

select sum(Weight) from wmsBillOfLadingCarrier

where wmsBillOfLadingCarrier.billOfLadingId == "xxx";

ttsBegin;

select forUpdate wmsBillOfLadingOrder

where wmsBillOfLadingOrder.billOfLadingId == "xxx";

if ( wmsBillOfLadingOrder )

{

wmsBillOfLadingOrder.weight = wmsBillOfLadingCarrier.weight;

wmsBillOfLadingOrder.update();

}

ttsCommit;    

}

In this way you don't have any issue.

Regards

• bankk Profile Picture
    bankk 6,603 on at

Hi Denis,

Sorry for the confusion. I have a simple piece of code which goes through the WMSBillOfLadingCarrier table given a BOL Id and sums up the weight value. I've put the code into the validateWrite() after the call to super(). So here's the series of events.

1. On the BOL carrier form I update the weight on a line, I click close. The code runs and cycles through the line items and aggregates the weight.

2. When I go to the WMSBillOfLadingCarrier table, I see the new line item

3. When i go to the WMSBillOfLadingOrder table, I see the weight total, but it does not include the change I made in #1.

4. Now if I make another change to weight and close the form, the code runs again, but this time, I will get a aggregated weight value in the WMSBillOfLadingOrder table which includes the change from #1 but not the change I just made in #4.

Hope that makes sense.

I worked around it and got something working. I'm retrieving the current weight value of the carrier line that's being changed, and then when I iterate through the WMSBillOfLadingCarrier table I ignore the line which has the same RecId. Seems a bit of a cludge but it works.

Thank you for your help.

• Denis Macchinetti Profile Picture

Hi

Can you move your code on update Table method after the Super()?

Honestly, is not clear for me when do you say : "found that the commit is not called so when I recalculate the weight to update WMSBillOfLadingOrder i'm evaluating the old value".

Can you move here your custom code?

Regards

• bankk Profile Picture
    bankk 6,603 on at

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I settled on validateWrite() on WMSBillOfLadingCarrier table but quickly found that the commit is not called so when I recalculate the weight to update WMSBillOfLadingOrder i'm evaluating the old value. I did not find any table method which is triggered after commit. Am I relegated to using a form method like finalize()?

Thank you again.

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Place to Write Code

Form level

When code is related to whole form

When code is related to multiple data sources

Editor or Display methods (only those that are not related to any data source)

Data source

Data source-related Edit or Display methods

Code related only to the data source that cannot be effectively placed in a table method

Controls

When it is strictly related to the controls

for detailed reference following link

www.packtpub.com/.../technical-best-practices-for-dynamics-ax-shared-and-aot-object-standards

• Verified answer
    Denis Macchinetti Profile Picture

Hi

1- If you want trigger a Field modification, you can move your custom code on "modifiedField" or "ValidateField" of the WMSBillOfLadingCarrier table

2- If you want trigger a Record update, you can move your custom code on ValidateWrite or Update table method. You can use ValidateWrite if you want handle only update made by a form.

3- If you want to trigger the Form closing, you can move your custom code on CloseOk form method.

About option 1 or 2, if you are using AX 2012 you can handle your custom code using Event Handler Nodes. This is the best solution reduce the upgrade effort to the next release.

msdn.microsoft.com/.../gg839762.aspx

Regards

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Call the custom code from the table ModifiedField() method

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans