Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Project Operations forum
Answered

Mínimum Project Operation licenses that I can install in new client

Posted on by 15

Hello Community,
I'm new to this neighborhood, I'm starting to offer Dynamics Project Operation to my clients. But I have encountered a difficulty. The minimum license I can install is 20, but my clients are small businesses. How can I overcome this problem?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards

JUAN JAIR

• Suggested answer
    Juan Lizarazo Profile Picture
    Juan Lizarazo 15 on at
    RE: Mínimum Project Operation licenses that I can install in new client

Another way to overcome the difficulty of not reaching the minimum 20 users is to install Business Central which has a project management module. This is so? or the difference in functionalities is very big?

• RollyPerreaux Profile Picture
    RollyPerreaux 35 on at

You are correct rjboe, I will update the product in my example to use Sales Premium instead. ;-)

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

According the table in the Assigned LIceneses section it doesn't look like you can use Project Operations with Customer Service or Sales base licenses. It looks like you can go the other way having a Project Operations base license.

2020_2D00_12_2D00_22-07_5F00_19_5F00_09_2D00_Dynamics-365-Licensing-Guide-Dec-2020.pdf.png

• RollyPerreaux Profile Picture
    RollyPerreaux 35 on at

It will depend if your client is already licensed for Dynamics 365 or not.

If they already have, say Sales Premium Full User Access Licenses (as their Base License), they could purchase ProjOps as an Attach License @$30USD/User/Month.

If not, then there is a 20 seat minimum @$120USD/User/Month.

Download the Dec 2020 Licensing Guide here:

go.microsoft.com/.../

Read the section titled Assigned Licenses

• Juan Lizarazo Profile Picture
    Juan Lizarazo 15 on at

In practice this means that not all 20 licenses cost approximately 100 USD/month. You can incorporate licenses costing approximately 50USD/month for users who only use the commercial module or the financial module.

The option of SKU licenses, I understand that corresponds to read-only users. (about 15USD/month) is this so?

excuse my inaccuracy in the figures.

• Chris Haley Profile Picture
    Chris Haley on at

You are correct that the Project Operations license doesn't grant access to the full Finance and Supply Chain features, but once the F&O environment is deployed, all the Finance and Supply Chain functionality is already deployed with that instance - you just have to purchase and assign the relevant additional licenses to grant users access.

With the minimums - as I understand it the idea is you could buy 15 Project Operations licenses plus 3 Finance licenses and 2 Supply Chain licenses to reach that 20 seat minimum.

Also worth noting that a Project Operations license does grant access to 'activity' level security roles across other F&O modules - so with a Project Operations license you can do things like raise purchase orders etc.

• Diego Segreto Profile Picture
    Diego Segreto 35 on at

Hi Chris Haley - when you say:

"If the customer is looking for multiple functionalities such as supply chain or finance, which might involve purchasing licenses for additional users, I believe these licenses would count towards the 20 user minimum, if that helps at all."

I don't think D365 Project Operations gies you access to the rest of the D365 F&O (Finance capabilities). So you will still have to buy 20 users for D365 365 Finance to run your AP, AR, GL, etc, etc

Correct?

Thaanks.

• Verified answer
    Chris Haley Profile Picture
    Chris Haley on at

Hi,

The 20 license minimum is there because of the cost to Microsoft of hosting two systems (D365 Customer Engagement and D365 Finance) to provide the full end to end experience included in D365 Project Operations.

If the customer is looking for multiple functionalities such as supply chain or finance, which might involve purchasing licenses for additional users, I believe these licenses would count towards the 20 user minimum, if that helps at all.

If the customer isn't looking to use the enterprise grade finance solution and instead would integrate with a different finance back end, they would be considering using the deal to pro-forma invoice, or so called 'lite' deployment:

docs.microsoft.com/.../determine-deployment-type

The 20 user minimum does still apply to the lite deployment approach but the community have created an 'idea' on the ideas portal that you can vote for, suggesting that Microsoft remove this restriction for 'lite' deployments.

experience.dynamics.com/.../

For now, the customer would simply have to purchase the minimum 20 user licenses in order to get access to D365 Project Operations.

• Juan Lizarazo Profile Picture
    Juan Lizarazo 15 on at

What kind of licenses can be? all must be more than 100USD/ user/month?

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,989 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,588 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans