Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / Upgrade testing securi...
Finance forum
Unanswered

Upgrade testing security role

Posted on by 65

hi

What is the methodology that you are following for upgrade related security testing? I am planing to create following script

For each enabled user

---> Loop through all user roles.

--------> create a user - menu item lines with least effective access for read/update/create/delete (we don't use entities and our security is only on menu items so don't care about other objects)

Compare the output with previous version and investigate the difference.

Any thoughts? and has anyone already written similar script that they can share? :)

regards

Categories:
  • nmaenpaa Profile Picture
    nmaenpaa 101,148 on at
    RE: Upgrade testing security role

As Andre mentioned, you can track all changes to user-role assignments and such.

About tracking other changes, I understand the problem, but...

But if Microsoft changes content of out of the box roles, duties and privileges, that's not tracked in the system.

Do your auditors really demand you to detect Microsoft's changes in Microsoft's cloud solution? If such requirement exists, I would ask Microsoft to provide such information, instead of every customer having to solve this. If it's a general requirement (based on legislation) (which I doubt a bit), then I would assume there's a lot of pressure on Microsoft to provide such info.

However all changes that your developers make to security elements can be tracked in the version control history.

• HarryDesh Profile Picture
    HarryDesh 65 on at

I am afraid our auditors need a comprehensive picture that can show what has changed and what has not changed but I will take a look into what you have suggested. Thanks.

• André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at

Hi Harry,

Every change on security is logged and can be reviewed in the system administration area. Then you can verify if there are changes which needs to be reviewed.

• HarryDesh Profile Picture
    HarryDesh 65 on at

Our auditors want to validate that security access to users has not changed due to version upgrade.

• André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at

Hi HarryDesh,

I'm not able to understand what you exactly mean with your script. What is it what you want to validate? What would the script do?

Note that sometimes, Microsoft is changing a menu item in a menu. If you have custom roles, the new menu item might not have permissions. In that case, a menu item can be missing in a certain role.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates