Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics GP forum
Unanswered

GP Hangs on initializing

Posted on by 355
All users on a terminal server are hanging on the Window below
If I remove Project Accounting it launches - I have done a fresh install on a different server, created a new company but none will launch with PA in the Set file - Issue is we need PA because that is the main product they use - as I said it happens in the new company and the test company
Categories:
  • GP Hangs on initializing
    GP has a specific set of exclusions that you should make sure is added to your anti-virus regardless of what anti-virus you are using. It would be great if GP stopped using C/BTree temp files like this since adding exclusions for these in a user's temp profile isn't exactly secure, but I doubt that is in the cards considering where we are at in GP's lifecycle. We host clients with S1 and were able to get past that by including exclusions. That said, we still have random issues with temp folders getting deleted and we're not sure if it's S1 or something else. But it generally should still work with the correct exclusions. Below are quotes from the Microsoft GP performance paper:

The following exclusions must be configured if anti-virus software is running on the client workstations or the Terminal Server:
    • Configure exceptions to exclude *.tmp, *.idx, *.dat, TNT*. * files in the user’s profile temp folder from the anti-virus scan.
    • In some anti-virus programs, an exception for the Dynamics.exe process may be necessary.
    The following exclusions must be configured if anti-virus software is running on the SQL Server:
    • Exclude the location where the database files and log files are stored from the anti-virus software scan.
    • Configure exceptions to exclude *.ldf, *.mdf, *.ndf and SQL Backup files from the anti-virus software scan.
    Some anti-virus software may have scanning within the tcp/ip stack; if enabled performance may degrade. Contact your Anti-Virus Software Vendor for more information about this possibility.
  • Suggested answer
    Terry R Heley Profile Picture
    Terry R Heley Microsoft Employee on at
    GP Hangs on initializing
    We have had a few reports of this now from customers, very sporadic.
    What we found this week and we think we have narrowed it down to is an update that was installed for Anti-virus, SentinelOne.

Can we confirm the customer is using this anti-virus?

This has been causing some customers to have login hang issues and it has in some cases crippled our workflow as it is making a call to AD and something with that update is causing the issue.

As a test you can temporarily disable it, test in GP if it works, then we know that is the problem.

The customer will need to look into the updates that were applied for the Anti-Virus product or find an exception for GP.

Example 

Let me know what you find out, thanks
    Terry

Microsoft

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans