Skip to main content

Notifications

Microsoft Dynamics GP forum
Suggested answer

Difference between the summary Trial Balance and detailed trial balance report

Posted on by 2
We have a reversing AR entry not appearing on the detailed trial balance report but is included in the summary trial balance total and in the records when you review the chart of accounts balance details. Why would this entry not appear in the trial balance total? This is causing an out of balance between our detailed trial balance and our summary trial balance reporting.
Categories:
  • BJ-09051414-0 Profile Picture
    BJ-09051414-0 119 on at
    Hello,

There are a couple things that can cause the Summary Information to not match the detailed information. 

1. The summary information is just a running total of the detail that gets updated when things post.
      1. If there were any issues during the posting process, the summary information could not have been updated.
    2. If one report is modified and the other is not, the modifications could be causing the report to print different amounts.
    3. In the GL tables, there is a field called Ledger_ID which is used with multiple ledgers.
      1. This can at times have the wrong value. However, if this was the issue, I would think both reports would not reflect the amount.
    4. Manual changes to the summary window.
      1. If someone manually changed the summary amounts for the account in the summary window, this would cause the reports to not match.
    How I would approach this.
    1. First, I would review the data in the GL20000 table for the reversing entry that you are questioning and verify the Ledger ID and no damage to the GL Entry.
    2. Next, if either of the reports are modified, set security back to the core GP report and see if the same thing occurs.
      1. If it does not, then you need to look at the modifications made to the report.
    3. If no damage and the Ledger ID is correct, you can use Reconcile to update the summary information based off the detail.
      1. CAUTION – If you run this in live it can cause further issues if you have bad data or have manual changes as the Reconcile will update the Summary Amounts based on the Detail records.
        1. I highly suggest you run this in test first so you can see the changes as the only way to undo it if it is done in live is to restore a backup before this was done.
    4. Lastly, verify that the two reports are being run for the same date restrictions. If using different dates, this could be the cause as well.
    Based off your scenario provided, it sounds like it shows on the detail but not the summary. Reconcile should correct this if there is no damage or manual changes.

Beyond the above, I would need to see the data, the dates being used to run the reports, to determine what might be the cause.

I hope this helps!

Thank you!

Brandon
    Functional Consultant
  • Suggested answer
    Judy Profile Picture
    Judy Microsoft Employee on at
    Hi, this can occur when there is an unbalanced journal entry or a rounding difference using multi-currency. The solution is mentioned in the MS document, please refer to the link for some hints:

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,874 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,425 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans