Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / What languages are eac...
Finance forum
Answered

What languages are each of the different Dynamics 365 products now and what is the "AX" version of Dynamics called now??

Posted on by 150

What are we calling the "AX" version of Dynamics 365 these days? I hear "Unified Operations" here and there and looking at Microsoft's Dynamics 365 webpage they show both "Finance" and "Operations", but their images both have the same "Finance and Operations" header. I see these listed (picture below):

• Sales - Is this a fork of CRM? What language is this?
  • Marketing - Is this a fork of CRM? What language is this?
  • Service - Is this a fork of CRM? What language is this?
  • Finance - The image says "Finance and Operations" so is it AX?
  • Operations - The image says "Finance and Operations" so is it AX too?
  • Commerce - Dynamics AX for Retail?
  • HR - ?

I thought Great Plains or Dynamics SL was one of them?

Can anyone clear up what programming language each uses, what it stems from, etc?

pastedimage1575137406875v2.png

• Suggested answer
    Rahul Mohta Profile Picture
    Rahul Mohta 21,010 on at
    RE: What languages are each of the different Dynamics 365 products now and what is the "AX" version of Dynamics called now??

X++ is the development language for D365FO

IDE is visual studio

Retail development needs quite a good knowledge of typescript, Fiddler and .Net C# for POS and Retail HR

Mobile app development needs Browser/Fiddler

• Suggested answer
    Sukrut Parab Profile Picture
    Sukrut Parab 71,643 Moderator on at
    RE: What languages are each of the different Dynamics 365 products now and what is the "AX" version of Dynamics called now??

I usually search with term D365 for finance and operations  and get results.  Most of the things related to development(x++) are available on next page

docs.microsoft.com/.../developer-home-page

• Wmyk Profile Picture
    Wmyk 150 on at

I'm still a little confused. Currently, I'm an AX (x++) developer plus I've developed some in AX7 (Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations), but when I try to explain to people what I can develop in...I'm getting confused. When I try to Google D365 (AX7 version) I have trouble with search terms.

If I go to dynamics.microsoft.com/.../ which can I program X++ in? When I look at docs.microsoft.com/.../, I'm lost...but I'm thinking these are sub-sections of the pricing link?

• Suggested answer
    Sukrut Parab Profile Picture
    Sukrut Parab 71,643 Moderator on at

Hi Wmyk ,

Dynamics 365 for Finance and operation is Licensed as Finance and Supply chain now and primarily is uses x++ as coding language , As far as I know sales  uses  c# as a coding language and  front end is based on ASP.NET and JavaScript.

I believe HR (Talent) must be using x++ as an coding language as its a HR module from F&O with added functionality .

Retail is  also another app with base of  F&O and you have to do coding  in using both x++ and c# for POS development.

As per Microsoft's October 2018 release notes that: “This is a convergence point for Dynamics SMB products—going forward, they are all considered customers of Business Central, in the cloud or on-premises, even if they are running differently branded products such as Dynamics SL, Dynamics GP, and older versions of Dynamics NAV.”

• Verified answer
    Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture
    Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee on at

Hi,

For 'AX', which was previously called ... for finance and operations ... there are a lot of languages available.

To get an overview of the different countries/regions and languages supported, have a look at this page:

docs.microsoft.com/.../country-region

The second hyperlink opens a PDF that shows the different localiations for the different dynamics 365 products.

One of them is of course D365  Finance and one is D365 Supply Chain Management, which were previously referred to as 'finance and operations'.

A lot of name changes but the PDF document provides you a good overview.

Best regards,

Ludwig

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans