Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / DevOps and database sy...
Finance forum
Answered

DevOps and database synchronization

Posted on by
If i have a VM which i want to use to code for a project that is already deployed somewhere and i get the Project repo from DevOps and finish my work and want to upload the new changes. When i build the deployment package to upload will this synchronize the database that is already deployed on the server which contained the repo or no?
Categories:
  • Verified answer
    Martin Dráb Profile Picture
    Martin Dráb 228,764 Most Valuable Professional on at
    DevOps and database synchronization
    Moved from Dynamics AX forum.

Now you're mixing two different processes. Let me address them one by one.

Question: when i clone the repo on my vm will the database be downloaded as well?
    Answer: No, unless you have the database in source control, which would be a bad idea. The repository normally contains code (and maybe some binaries such as binary ISV modules), not databases.

Remark: when i create a deployable package i need the database synchronization in order to be able to merge my package with the server
    Comment: When you create a deployable package, you build source code to binaries and pack the binaries for installation. It has nothing to do with database, therefore no database synchronization is needed. DB synchronization happens as part of the package installation in the target environment (see my previous reply for a few more details).

• CU03091226-0 Profile Picture
    CU03091226-0 on at
    DevOpps and database synchronization
    Yes Martin im talking about TFVC and F&O.

Let me clarify the situation i am in a bit, i have a vm with nothing, i have a repo which contains code, and a sandbox where this code is deployed. i want to take this code and modify it to create a new deployable package which i will then deploy on the server. But my issue is that i dont understand when i clone the repo on my vm will the database be downloaded as well or how will this work? my thought process is that when i create a deployable package i need the database synchronization in order to be able to merge my package with the server.

Thank you.
  • Suggested answer
    Martin Dráb 228,764 Most Valuable Professional on at
    DevOpps and database synchronization
    You mentioned a deployment package, therefore I suspect you may be talking about F&O, not AX. Is it the case? If not, which version of AX are you using and what do you mean by the package?

I'm assuming you're talking about a TFVC repository in Azure DevOps. Is that correct? (It would helped if you're more specific.)

Regarding "deployed on the server which contained the repo", please realize that the version control repository and application binaries deployed to F&O environments are very different things. The repository is in Azure DevOps (not in an F&O environment) and it contains source code . Then you build source code to binaries and create a deployable package, but it still doesn't have any impact on target environments. That happens when you actually install the package to an environment. DB synchronization is necessary, because there may be data model changes in the application and the new application wouldn't work with the database for the older version. F&O deployable packages therefore do synchronize the DB automatically.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,572 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb 228,764 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans