Skip to main content

Notifications

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Answered

Fiscal calendar changes impact on Fixed Asset calendar

Posted on by 155

Hi All

We have a scenario where the Fiscal calendar is required to be change from 01 April-31 March to 01 July-30 June. I am familiar with implementing this change but the question or uncertainty that we have is around the impact of the fiscal calendar change on the fixed assets.

Below is the setup of the fixed assets calendar components:

• Initially our Fixed assets Depreciation profile was setup with Depreciation year set to Calendar. The Period frequency set to Monthly
  • The calendar selected on the Value Model and Depreciation book is the old fiscal calendar (01 April - 31 March). When I try to update the calendar on the Value Model it says that it cannot change the calendar due to existing transactions or journals.
  • Depreciation has already been run for several years with this setup and with the old Fiscal calendar (01 April - 31 March).

I have implemented this change in a Test environment where I updated the GL calendar with the New fiscal calendar but did not update the FA calendar. I also ran a few depreciations proposals and posted them and also ran reports ( comparing GL to FA sub ledger) and could not notice anything different from when the old calendar was setup to when the New calendar was implemented and changed. Depreciation is also calculating correctly.

Q1. I am not sure if I am testing this the correct way?

Q2. If I update the Fiscal year in the GL but leave the Assets linked to the old Fiscal year what will be the impact?

Q3. Looking at the initial setup of the Depreciation profile, my assumption is that because we selected Depreciation year as Calendar then the fiscal calendar change will not have an impact on my fixed assets. If we had selected Depreciation year as Fiscal then we might have issues? 

I hope someone on the forum can provide guidance on my issues

Kind Regards

Categories:
  • mohamedsaib_ax Profile Picture
    mohamedsaib_ax 155 on at
    RE: Fiscal calendar changes impact on Fixed Asset calendar

Thanks for confirming Ludwig.

The Fixed assets calendar configuration does throw people off when it comes to fiscal calendar changes.

• Verified answer
    Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture
    Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: Fiscal calendar changes impact on Fixed Asset calendar

Hi,

For Q1: I would expect that you see no difference because before and after making the change you run your depreciation on a monthly basis. I don't know why a separate calendar was actually setup for fixed assets because it does not seem necessary to me.

For Q2: From an accounting perspective, I would not expect any difference as you calculated your depreciation on a monthly basis before and after.

For Q3: That is what I tried to explain before. I do not know why a fixed asset calendar has been setup before because to me this does not seem necessary in your case.

Best regards,

Ludwig

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,469 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates