Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / Financial reporter sec...
Finance forum
Suggested answer

Financial reporter security permissions

Posted on by 1,416

Hi,

I am struggling while configuring security permissions for financial reports in Financial Report Designer in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations. I know there used to be Report Library permissions back in Management Reporter however seems like this has been taken by Microsoft in the new Financial Report Designer. The questions is how can we configure security permissions at the user level for each report? For example, a company has 10 financial reports. At the moment, the user with security access to Financial Reports can see all of these 10 reports. What I am looking after is to configure security permission such that the user should NOT see all of them.

I know that there are some security permissions at the user level but they can't control user's access to individual reports.

7624.Image.png

Please advise. Thanks!

• El x Profile Picture
    El x 13 on at
    Financial reporter security permissions
    Hi All,
    I have a similar question but more specific.
    Is it possible to restrict access in financial reporter in situations where business unit/cost center managers shall only have access to the data of the business unit/cost center they are responsible for. This article described how to setup it in Management reporter https://community.dynamics.com/blogs/post/?postid=df877554-a7b0-4fe2-a3c2-4b333aa6860f   but I can't find if this  requirement can be addressed in Financial reporter D365. Thank you.
  • Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: Financial reporter security permissions

Hi Muhammad

I have being trying to do this but I keep getting a message saying I am not authorised to do this.  I will keep trying

Not-authorised.png

Best regards

Simon

• M Anas Khan Profile Picture
    M Anas Khan 1,416 on at

Hi Simon,

You're welcome! Please mark the response as a solution so that others could also find the solution right away.

Cheers!

Hi Muhammad

thank you so much for this suggestion I have set it up and tested it and it works perfectly.  My test user can view and generate reports but the New and Edit options are not available so the user can not access the report designer. Success!

Best regards

Simon  

Hi Muhammad 

yes that makes perfect sense and sounds like it should work. I will test this theory and let you know.

Best regards

Simon 

M Anas Khan 1,416 on at

Hi Simon,

Since you need to give generate permission but restrict them to open report designer to edit any reports, try setting Deny to the FinancialReportingEdit action menu item. I suggest you to create duplicate privilege and then modify the duplicated one and test.

pastedimage1579658728122v1.png

Hi Muhammad

I just tried adjusting the role as you suggested and yes this removes access to the report designer.  The problem is as I suspected  the user now cannot generate reports.  So if I understand correctly it is not currently possible in D365 Finance to give a user access to generate  financial reports and block their access to the report designer? Which is unfortunate because that is what I am trying to achieve.

Financial-Reports-MBR-2020_2D00_01_2D00_22.png

Unless you have another solution?

Best regards

Simon   

Hi Muhammad

I will try this out and let you know. 

Best regards

Simon 

M Anas Khan 1,416 on at

View financial reports privilege > Review financial performance duty should only be given to the user.

pastedimage1579650724015v1.png

Generate financial reports privilege > Generate financial reports duty should be taken away

pastedimage1579650833679v2.png

Hope this would help you.

Hi Muhammad

Thanks for this example you provided it works with one annoying exception. What I noticed is that the user that I have applied the restriction to,  can still click on edit and launch the report designer from here they can see all folders, they can also generate reports in other folders but the good news is they see no data in these reports.  However it would be really good if I the users could be blocked from launching the report designer altogether i.e not even see the new or Edit options from the financial reports form.  Do you know whether this is possible? 

Best regards 

Simon  

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates