Skip to main content

Notifications

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Sales forum / Best Practice to Custo...
Sales forum
Suggested answer

Best Practice to Customise Navigation in Solutions?

Posted on by 18
I have been working on customized forms and views in an unmanaged solution in my Dynamics 365 Sales Dev environment, that will be imported as a manages solution in the Dynamics 365 Sales Production environment. which is what the Microsoft Learn documentation recommends as best practice.

I now need to customise the main Navigation menu, which would be done by adding the Sales Hub app to my solution, and editing the menu. Is this best practice? When I do this, my solution has both the Sales Hub model driven App, and a Sitemap listed in the object, should I remove the model driven app, and only keep the sitemap?

Any links to articles explaining suggestions for solution development would be appreciated. The approach to copy and customise the forms is very simple and easy to see how you can have a customised version for your business without preventing future improvements from Microsoft. I hope there is a similar approach for commonly modified objects like sitemaps/navigation.

Categories:
  • Suggested answer
    Alex Dan 365 Profile Picture
    Alex Dan 365 55 on at
    Hi Nicholas,

For future projects, consider creating a new model-driven app (from your solution) to have greater control over its components. During the creation process, you can opt to use an existing sitemap (e.g., the Sales Hub App) to avoid starting from scratch.

This approach allows you to have better control over the UI/UX, ensuring a consistent and customized design for your app.

Additionally, it gives you more flexibility in managing your pages, and you won’t be affected by unexpected sitemap changes from Microsoft (like the addition of new features such as the Copilot page in the navigation).

• Suggested answer
    Ben356 Profile Picture
    Ben356 on at
    Hello NicholasHE

I have attempted to answer all queries, answers in bold.

Query: I now need to customise the main Navigation menu, which would be done by adding the Sales Hub app to my solution, and editing the menu. Is this best practice?

No, if you only need to modify navigation in the context of tables, charts then only the sitemap needs to be edited not the app.

Query: When I do this, my solution has both the Sales Hub model driven App, and a Sitemap listed in the object, should I remove the model driven app, and only keep the sitemap?

Yes, but dependency rules will still apply to any other components.

Query: Any links to articles explaining suggestions for solution development would be appreciated.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/how-managed-solutions-merged#merge-navigation-sitemap-customizations

This document explains the merge behavior and even highlights what happens with conflicts, if any MS updates need to be removed. Then the editing approach comes back in. Remember that ultimately your managed solution will be on top of the MS solutions so trust that your customizations will take precedency.

• Suggested answer
    Muhammad.Affan Profile Picture
    Muhammad.Affan 1,855 on at

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,469 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates