Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Answered

Cost price in Counting journal

Posted on by

Hello all,

I have created a counting journal for an item and the Cost price does not populate on the journal line. The item's model group is set to Weighted average, and so there is no cost price set in the Price field on the Managae cost fast tab of the Released product form. Since no price is populated in the Counting journal by default, when I post the journal (say, to add 1 unit to inventory), it throws off the weighted average cost for the next transaction.

Here is the model group:

Here is the journal line. Note there is no Cost amount.

Here is the transaction history. Note that I ran a Recalculation hoping that would solve the issue, and it did not. The cost for the Counting journal in Purchased status was 0 and the first inventory adjustment is -12.90. This -12.90 was the price after the Recalculation. Before the Recalculation, the cost for that transaction was -14.29 or ((100+200+0) / 21). By my calculation, the Counting journal cost should have been 15.00 or ((100+200) / 20) which would have made the inventory adjustment cost -15.00 or ((100+200+15) / 21).

The cause of the issue is the Counting journal with 0 cost. Can anything be done to automatically populate this field with the correct Weighted average cost?

Categories:
  • Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: Cost price in Counting journal

I am also facing same issue, kindly provide the any resolution of zero price after entry positive counting journal.

• Verified answer
    Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture
    Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee on at

Hello MattA,

If you want to have the current weighted average cost price populated you would need a developer helping you realize that.

Yet, think twice whether this is really needed as for issue transactions AX will always use the current running average price that will get adjusted through the inventory Close/recalculation process.

For receipt transactions the last purchase price might be a good candidate to use in inventory journals as it approximates the current market Price.

Hope this helps,

Ludwig

• MattA Profile Picture
    MattA on at

Hi Ludwig,

Thank you for your quick response.

The only issue with using the "Latest cost price" setting is that is uses the price from the last PO receipt. This is certainly better than having a 0 on the Counting journal, but I was trying to get the current Weighted average cost populated in the journal. Is that possible?

In the example below, you can see that the Cost price was set to 20.00, which was the Purchase price from the last PO receipt. The current Weighted average cost should be 15.00.

releasedproductform.PNG

• Suggested answer
    Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture
    Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee on at

Hi,

The Journal that you posted is for a positive quantity.

If you do not specify a cost price in the journal, AX will assume that the cost price is 0$.

From what you write above I believe that you mixed the behavior of AX in case of issues where AX automatically takes the running average price for the item.

What you can do to have to latest cost price automatically filled in is if you activate the check box "latest cost price" in the released product form.

Hope this helps,

Ludwig

• MattA Profile Picture
    MattA on at

Here is the model group:

3438.journal.PNG

Here is the journal line:

3438.journal.PNG

Here is thetransaction history:

trans.PNG

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,768 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,985 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans