Answered

Dynamics 365 - Parent Company and Child Companies

Posted on by

Just confirming below.

Is below scenario possible?

Company A = Parent Company

Company B = Child Company

Company C = Child Company

There is a dynamics 365 app that should be accessed by only Company C employees, and not by Company B or Company A?

• Verified answer
    SumayyaAslam Profile Picture
    SumayyaAslam on at
    RE: Dynamics 365 - Parent Company and Child Companies

Hi, I managed to test this yesterday and it worked.

I was trying to share entity records (by an app) across different business units in Dynamics 365. I tested this with account entity, using Teams. I followed below steps:

1 - Created a security role for the Business Unit (Company A), the records of which I want to share (ideally we should copy the role - so copy the previous role, and change / update any thing you want)

2 - Created Teams, and added the above security role to that team

3 - Added my user in this team. My User belonged to the Business Unit (Company C). Other users in Business Unit A cannot access the app, because its not shared with them.

4 - All done

• Suggested answer
    RaviKashyap Profile Picture
    RaviKashyap 55,406 on at

Hi Sumaya,

If you mean Account entity by Company then yes you can have a hierarchical relationship between account records. Infact this is already available out of box.

If company is not the account entity and you meant something else then please share some more details about your requirement.

Hope this helps.

• SumayyaAslam Profile Picture
    SumayyaAslam on at

I have a Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Plan, and not Finance and Operations. Can I do this in CRM?

• Suggested answer
    Raheel-Khan Profile Picture
    Raheel-Khan 1,371 on at

Salam!

Dear Sumayya,

Trust you are fine!

You can use Legal entity and Operating unit model in your case, also find read data security features for both of them.

Data security

Most data is automatically secured by company ID. A company ID is a unique identifier for the data that is associated with a legal entity. A company can be associated with only one legal entity, and a legal entity can be associated with only one company. Users can access data only for the companies that they have access to. You do not need to customize Finance and Operations to secure data by company ID.

If the organization is modeled as an operating unit

Data can be secured per operating unit by creating customized data security policies. Data security policies are used to limit access to data. For example, assume that a user is allowed to create purchase orders only in a particular operating unit. Data security policies can be created to prevent the user from accessing purchase order data from any other operating unit. The volume of transactions and the number of security policies can affect performance. When you design security policies, keep performance in mind.

Warm Regards,

Raheel

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans