In today’s article, we will review some tips and recommendations on how to proceed after you have upgraded the DYNAMICS database, all company databases and the modified forms and reports to Dynamics GP 2018:
1. Make Backups Once your databases are upgraded, always make SQL backups of the databases before moving forward with any next step. We also recommend logging into Dynamics GP 2018 and exporting all modified forms and reports to package files as well, now that they are upgraded. This is done via Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance.
2. Enter your new Dynamics GP 2018 Registration Keys All Customers must work with their Partner to obtain the new registration keys for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018. You can then login to Dynamics GP 2018 and go to Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Setup | Registration to enter the new registration keys.
3. Third Party Products/Customizations All third party products and customizations have already been identified during the pre-upgrade planning phase. Once Dynamics GP is upgraded, you can then move forward to install/upgrade all third party products that you use with GP. Please work with the ISV that provides the third party product for the appropriate upgrade steps. Don't forget about any additional customizations as well! Work with the Developer who created the customization to obtain the upgrade steps.
4. Client Machines and Terminal Server Install Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 on all client workstations and Terminal Servers. Make sure to install the exact same hotfix or service pack for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 on the clients and Terminal Servers that you used for the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 upgrade. If a different patch is used, you could run into version errors when launching Dynamics GP 2018.
5. Web Services If you currently use Web Services, then it must also be upgraded to the 2018 version. You can install Web Services from the “AdProd” folder in the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 installation media. Once installed, run the GP Web Services Configuration Wizard to upgrade the Web Services components in the DYNAMICS and company databases. If you have custom integrations with Web Services, please test all integrations following the upgrade. The documentation for Web Services is also on the installation media.
6. eConnect The eConnect database objects are automatically upgraded when the DYNAMICS and company databases are upgraded with Dynamics GP 2018 Utilities. If you have custom Pre and Post eConnect procedures, make sure to create those again following the database upgrade. If you have the eConnect Runtime installed on any client or server, use the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 installation media to install the latest eConnect Runtime components. If you have custom integrations with eConnect, please test all integrations to confirm that everything works correctly. The documentation for eConnect is also on the installation media.
7. Workflow 4.0 Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 introduces the new Workflow 4.0 engine, which includes features such as e-mail reminders and reporting. Stay tuned to the Dynamics GP Support and Services Blog for more information on this exciting new version of Dynamics GP workflow.
8. Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Reporting Services Reports. The Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) reports are automatically upgraded during the database upgrade, as long as the Windows user that ran the upgrade process has access to your SQL Reporting Services Site. If you need to redeploy the SQL Reporting Services Reports following the upgrade to Dynamics GP 2018, click HERE to download the SQL Reporting Service Administrator Guide for GP.
9. Integration Manager If you currently use integrations with Integration Manager, you will need to upgrade your .MDB or .IMD database file to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018. You can install Integration Manager from the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 installation media. Once upgraded, make sure to test all integrations to confirm that they work successfully. You can also refer to the IMUsersGuide.pdf, which is in the same folder as the installation files.
10. Word Templates All Word Templates automatically upgrade with the databases in Dynamics GP 2018 Utilities. If your Word Templates are based on modified reports, make sure that the Reports.dic file is upgraded before testing the Word Templates. Most importantly, confirm that you can print the Standard modified report without issue before trying the Word Template report. If users need to continue to make changes to the Word Template reports through Microsoft Word, install the Microsoft Dynamics GP Add-in for Microsoft Word from the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 installation media.
11. US Payroll Tax Updates If you are a US Payroll Customer, check for the latest tax updates in Dynamics GP 2018 under Microsoft Dynamics GP | Maintenance | US Payroll Updates | Check for Tax Updates.
12. Management Reporter Note that FRx is not supported with GP 2018. The migration to Management Reporter is another important step in your upgrade plan, if you have not migrated already. Also make sure to test all of your Management Reporter reports once the databases are upgraded to Dynamics GP 2018. Click HERE for more information regarding Management Reporter. Click HERE to go to the Management Reporter Product Team Blog for additional information and tips on Management Reporter.
13. User Acceptance and Testing It is highly recommended to create checklists for your users to test all modules that are in use. Users should walk through the checklists in both the test upgrade and live upgrade environments. Once all users feel comfortable with the tests, have them sign off for each module. User acceptance is important to ensure that their processes work correctly in the new Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 environment. This includes testing all transaction entry tasks, reports, daily, monthly and yearly routines and processes.
14. Manage Database Size During the upgrade process, the databases can grow to a fairly large size. Please check the size of each of the company databases to ensure that you are comfortable with the size of the database based on the space requirements in your environment. You can leave the databases as is, or remove the extra space if you desire. Please work with your Database Administrator for assistance removing the extra space as needed.
15. Web Client Stay tuned to the Upgrade Blog Series Schedule for tomorrow’s post specifically for upgrading to the Dynamics GP 2018 Web Client.
16. Remove the Old Installations Once Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 is up and running smooth, you can go ahead and un-install the prior installation to clean up the machines.