Personalized Community is here!
Quickly customize your community to find the content you seek.
Choose your path Increase your proficiency with the Dynamics 365 applications that you already use and learn more about the apps that interest you. Up your game with a learning path tailored to today's Dynamics 365 masterminds and designed to prepare you for industry-recognized Microsoft certifications.
Visit Microsoft Learn
2022 Release Wave 2Check out the latest updates and new features of Dynamics 365 released from October 2022 through March 2023
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Community | FastTrack Program | Finance and Operations TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks | All TechTalks
Continuing with our Dynamics GP blog series, today we will cover several tips and recommendations regarding how to proceed after you have upgraded the DYNAMICS database, all company databases and the modified forms and reports to Dynamics GP:
1) Make Backups!Once your databases are upgraded, always make SQL backups of them before moving forward with any next step. We also recommend logging into Dynamics GP and exporting all modified forms and reports to .package files as well. This is done via Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance.
2) Third Party Products/CustomizationsAll third-party products and customizations should have already been identified during the pre-upgrade planning phase. After Dynamics GP itself has upgraded successfully, you can then continue to install/upgrade all third-party products that you use with GP. Please work with the ISV that provides the third-party product for the appropriate upgrade steps. Also, do not forget about any additional customizations! Work with the Developer who created the customization(s) to obtain the appropriate upgrade steps.
3) Client Machines and Terminal ServersInstall Microsoft Dynamics GP on all client workstations and Terminal Servers. Make sure to install the exact same hotfix or service pack for Microsoft Dynamics GP on the clients and Terminal Servers, that you used for the initial Microsoft Dynamics GP upgrade. Otherwise, you could run into version errors when launching Dynamics GP. You can then also proceed with installing third party products and customizations as noted above.
4) Web ServicesIf you currently use Web Services, then it must also be upgraded to the same version. You can install Web Services from the “AdProd” folder in the Microsoft Dynamics GP installation media. Once installed, run the GP Web Services Configuration Wizard to upgrade the Web Services components in the DYNAMICS and company databases. If you have any custom integrations with Web Services, please test those following the upgrade.
5) eConnectThe eConnect database objects are automatically upgraded when the DYNAMICS and company databases are upgraded via Dynamics GP Utilities. If you have custom Pre and Post eConnect procedures, please make sure to create those again following the database upgrades. If you have the eConnect Runtime installed on any client or server, use the Microsoft Dynamics GP installation media to install the latest eConnect Runtime components. If you have any custom integrations with eConnect, please test them to confirm that everything works correctly with the update.6) Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Reporting Services ReportsThe Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) reports are automatically upgraded during the database upgrade, as long as the Windows user that ran the upgrade process has access to your SQL Reporting Services Site. If you need to redeploy the SQL Reporting Services Reports following the upgrade to Dynamics GP, click HERE to download the SQL Reporting Service Administrator Guide for GP.
7) Integration Manager If you currently use Integration Manager, you will need to upgrade your .IMD or .MDB database file. You can install the newest version of Integration Manager from the Microsoft Dynamics GP installation media, then select Tools | Convert Database in IM. Once upgraded, make sure to test all integrations to confirm that they still work successfully. You can also refer to the IMUsersGuide.pdf, which is in the same folder as the installation files.
8) Word TemplatesAll Word Templates automatically upgrade with the databases in Dynamics GP Utilities. If your Word Templates are based on modified reports, make sure that the Reports.dic file is upgraded before testing the Word Templates. Most importantly, confirm that you can print the Standard modified report without issue before trying the Word Template report. If users need to continue to make changes to the Word Template reports through Microsoft Word, install the Microsoft Dynamics GP Add-in for Microsoft Word from the Microsoft Dynamics GP installation media.
9) US Payroll Tax UpdatesIf you are a US Payroll Customer, check for the latest tax updates in Dynamics GP under Microsoft Dynamics GP | Maintenance | US Payroll Updates | Check for Tax Updates.
10) Management ReporterNote that FRx is not supported with GP. Therefore, the migration to Management Reporter is another important step in your upgrade plan, if you have not migrated already. Also make sure to test all of your Management Reporter reports once the databases are upgraded to Dynamics GP. Click HERE for more information regarding Management Reporter. Click HERE to go to the Management Reporter Product Team Blog for additional information and tips on Management Reporter.
11) User Acceptance and TestingIt is strongly recommended for your users to test all modules that are in use. Users should walk through all modules in both the test upgrade and live upgrade environments. Once all users feel comfortable with the tests, have them sign off for each module. User acceptance testing is important to ensure that their processes work correctly in the new Microsoft Dynamics GP environment. This includes testing all transaction entry tasks, reports, daily, monthly and yearly routines and processes, etc.
12) Manage Database SizeDuring the upgrade process, the databases and log files can grow to a fairly large size. Please check the size of each of the company databases and log files to ensure that you are comfortable with the size, based on the space requirements in your environment. You can leave the databases as is, or remove the extra space if you desire. Please work with your Database Administrator for assistance removing the extra space as needed.Also consider the Transaction Log and TempDB growth during the upgrade process. You should have a good idea of what this will look like after performing the initial test upgrade. Then, plan accordingly in the production environment.
13) Web ClientStay tuned to the Upgrade Blog Series Schedule for tomorrow’s post specifically regarding upgrading to the Dynamics GP Web Client.
14) Remove the Old Installations
Once you have confirmed that Microsoft Dynamics GP is up and running smoothly, you can then un-install the prior installation to clean up the machines.
We hope that you enjoy this newest release of Microsoft Dynamics GP!
Business Applications communities