Question Status

Suggested Answer
Brian Alley asked a question on 24 Jun 2010 6:35 AM

Has anyone been successful in installing FRx 6.7 on a x86 Windows 7 system.  We cannot get past the "Self-Registration Error" for the OC30.DLL and DAO350.DLL files.

Is it possible to install this version (FRx 6.7.8069) on a Windows 7 system?

Thanks

Brian

wk responded on 24 Jun 2010 6:49 AM

I have no problem to run FRX 6.7.9111 (SP9) in Windows 7.

Please try to use Run As Administrator.   ( right-click FRx icon and select Run As Administrator)

Victoria Yudin responded on 24 Jun 2010 11:31 AM

Technically, you need SP 11 for FRx 6.7 to run it on Windows 7.  While it may work without SP 11, Windows 7 support was only added with SP 11.  I am running FRx 6.7 SP 11 on Windows 7 32-bit, no problem.

A few other pointers for installing FRx on Windows 7:

• install as the local/built-in administrator (not a user in the local admin group)
  • install outside of Program Files
  • install FRX, then the SP, then try running the application
  • when installing the service pack, even though it may look like it found the right path for your FRx install, browse out to it instead - somewhere around SP 8 this part of the SP install seems to have gotten broken and if you do not browse out to the right directory the SP does not always install
sxgrant responded on 24 Jun 2010 1:18 PM

I've run FRx 6.7 on a Windows 7 machine (albeit SP11) wihtout any problems. If you are using a shared sysdata and I/O data locations, try installing it to a local sysdata and I/O data. Once installed, them point it to the shared files.

Béat Bucher responded on 30 Jun 2010 12:58 PM

We use FRx 6.7 on Windows 7 x64 and it works fine with SP11. Although I realized that the service packs need to be installed upwards in a row from SP9 thru SP11 (according to MS KB), for brand new installation. The other tricky part is the creation of the ODBC link to allow FRx to connect the Forecaster DB on the SQL server. The link has to be created with the 32-bit ODBC application that's located under %systemroot%\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, because if you use the one from the control panel, it will setup the link in the 64-bit registry hive and FRx won't see the link.

Those differences are documented by Microsoft when seting up the SLQ native client on a x64 environment. Look for KB942976.

Trevor responded on 4 Jan 2011 8:11 PM

I have installed FRX 6.7 on a Win7 32bit machine, outside of the Programs Folder as described above and it runs, displaying the default businesses.

How/where do I point the program or config file to the \\serverName\filename.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Trev.

Victoria Yudin responded on 5 Jan 2011 5:45 AM

Trevor,

Are you asking where you would point this FRx installation to your SysData directory?  It should have asked you that during installation.  If not, you can change this by going to Admin | Organization | SYSDATA button.

Trevor responded on 6 Jan 2011 5:34 PM

Hi Victoria,

Bear with me please. I think what I am asking is what you think I am asking.

During an installation of FRx in Win 7, there SHOULD ???? be folders created in

"C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\"   called "FRx Software\FRx 6.7\"  where the FrxConfig.xml file resides. In this file we have the following information.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<configuration>

<frxInstallation programPath="C:\FRx Software\FRx 6.7">

<sysdataPath>\\ax-aos-client\frx\FRx 6.7\SysData</sysdataPath>

<iodataPath>\\ax-aos-client\frx\FRx 6.7\IO_Data</iodataPath>

</frxInstallation>

</configuration>

These folders aren't being created, we have manually copied them there but they don't have any affect in pointing the program to the server.

It is the sysdataPath and iodataPath information that I am trying to get read. So is what your saying the right way to go about this?

Thanks

Trev.

Victoria Yudin responded on 7 Jan 2011 1:07 AM

Hi Trevor,

I don't have a new Win 7 machine to test this with, but I believe when you first install FRx that file would not get created for every single user...why would FRx do this?  I think, instead, the first time that you log into FRx as a user, that file will be created as needed.

So, what exactly happens when you log into FRx with a user who does not have this file in the AppData\Local\... directory?  

Trevor responded on 7 Jan 2011 12:46 PM

Hi Victoria,

OK, I need to clarify more. When installing Frx on a Win XP machine, in my very limited experience, the  "FRx Software\FRx 6.7\" folders and files are only created for the user that is logged on when installing SP9 or above from memory, on one occasion I have had to manually place these folders and files there. I then had to replace the "FrxConfig.xml" file with our one that pointed the FRx program to our server. I am ASSUMING that I have to do the same thing for Win 7.

As to "what happens when I log into FRx on a Win 7 machine and the file is not there". Frx starts normally, and a window pops up to "Select a Company to Work With" Only 2 companies are available. "FW Fabrikam Works, Inc" and "FWC Fabrikam Works Canada, Inc". I assume these are default test companies that come with FRx.

I have setup  the ODBC connection as I normally do in Win Xp for this Win 7 machine.

Trevor responded on 7 Jan 2011 3:28 PM

Hi Victoria again,

I have been experimenting and checking my installation procedure. I started by checking the version number of FRx and it was the basic version number. It appears I have not been browsing out to the right directory properly. Have to make sure I double click on the "FRx 6.7" folder.  Now it is showing the version for SP11 and our own companies are showing up. So it looks like it is working now.

Also the "FRx Software\FRx 6.7\" folders and files are created in the AppData\Local\... directory when the service packs are applied for the logged in user.

One question though, When installing the service packs, the default path to install to comes up as

"C:\FRx Software\FRx 6.7\Report Manager". Is this correct??

I have only been browsing to "C:\FRx Software\FRx 6.7" and clicking OK. Seems to work.

Thank you

Trev.

Victoria Yudin responded on 8 Jan 2011 12:51 AM

Hi Trevor,

Glad you were able to resolve this.  Yes, I have noticed that since SP 9 or so the default path suggested during SP installation needs to be manually changed.

Suggested Answer
Nick Hoban responded on 3 Nov 2011 12:34 PM

Just wanted to point out a Knowledge Base article around this topic: https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebase/kbdisplay.aspx?wtntzsmnwukntmmyyozqmlkpworrlpowrkvutstmuyusnkns

Suggested Answer
Nick Hoban responded on 3 Nov 2011 12:34 PM

Just wanted to point out a Knowledge Base article around this topic: https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebase/kbdisplay.aspx?wtntzsmnwukntmmyyozqmlkpworrlpowrkvutstmuyusnkns