Have you ever spotted an omission, outdated technical detail, or grammar issue in the documentation on docs.microsoft.com and wished you could fix it? The Dynamics 365 product documentation sets for open source and hosted on GitHub, so you can! This blog will walk you through how to make a suggested edit on a documentation page and submit the changes via a pull request. All you need is a GitHub account and a web browser (May I suggest trying the newest Chromium based Microsoft Edge?). Now let’s show how you can contribute your expertise and help make our documentation better for everyone!

Please note that the following steps require a GitHub account which you can create for free and contributions are currently only accepted for the English documentation. These are screenshots from a small suggestion I made to the Archive inventory transactions page in the Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management documentation.

1. On the documentation page you want to suggest an edit, click the Edit button.
    A screenshot of a documentation page from docs.microsoft.com for Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations. An arrow is pointing at the edit button, indicating where to click.

2. GitHub will open in read only mode. Click the Pencil icon to edit.
    An image showing a menu on the GitHub page which is in read only mode. The pencil icon is highlighted indicating to click here to turn the page into write mode.
  3. GitHub is now in write mode and you can freely edit the documentation file using the Markdown language. The area in the red square is the editable area and the highlighted text is the change that I typed in. You’ll also notice the blue highlighted area states you don’t have write access and your changes will be written to a new branch in your fork. I’ve included links at the bottom of this blog on how to learn more about the Markdown language and GitHub terminology if these are unfamiliar to you.

The GitHub interface is shown in edit mode. A red box outlines the edit area indicating where you can write. A sentence is highlighted to show that I wrote it in as a change to the documentation.

4. When you are finished editing, scroll to the bottom of the page. Fill out the content summary and the optional extended description of your changes.
    The propose changes menu is shown with two text boxes to type in. The content summary text box and the extended description text box. The propose changes button is also shown below these text boxes indicating where to click when finished.

5. Click Propose changes.
  6. The next screen on GitHub will display a comparison of your changes. To begin submitting your changes to Microsoft, click Create pull request.
    After submission, GitHub shows this screen that compares the changes you submitted to the original document.

7. Finally, review the information previously entered for the pull request and click Create pull request.
    GitHub screen is shown to confirm opening a pull request. The open pull request button is highlighted to click.
  8. If this is your first-time submitting changes to the documentation and you are not a Microsoft employee, you may be asked to complete a short Contribution License Agreement. This is a one-time requirement that must be completed before your pull request can be accepted.

That’s it! Your pull request has been submitted and your changes will be reviewed. You will receive alert notifications from GitHub during the approval workflow process. Depending on the changes you have suggested, a member of the product team may be asked to review the accuracy of your submission before it can be added. 

This process will also work for many other documentation sets that are hosted on a public GitHub repository through docs.microsoft.com. So, keep an eye out for that edit button the next time you're browsing your favorite documentation site and spot a issue. Thank you for reading and let's connect on LinkedIn: here's a link to my Profile.

Links:
    Contribute to the documentation
    GitHub documentation
    GitHub "About pull requests"
    Mastering Markdown language
    Microsoft Docs contributor guide overview