Inbound PO Put Away Suggest Location

Question Status

Verified
Jefry Then asked a question on 5 Oct 2014 3:10 AM

Hi,

When I try to put away a purchase order, we can choose suggest location menu in mobile device. But if I click on it, they return nothing. Anyone knows what I'm missing? How does "suggest location" logic work?

Jefry

Suggested Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 5 Oct 2014 4:30 AM

It uses the location directives same as when the work is created, with the difference being that the locations already suggested that you did not "like" will be excluded, so a new location is suggested

From your question I assume you did not actually get a location pre-assigned on the work created, most probably due to some errors in your location directives setup.

That also means that clicking on "Suggest location" will not get you any further in getting a location, until you fix the location directive setup

Jefry Then responded on 5 Oct 2014 11:02 AM

Hi Ivan,

Here is my location directive setup :

I fill site and warehouse but blank directive code on my location directive fast tab.

In lines fast tab, I fill to quantity to 9999999 and keep it blank for unit, and locate quantity to none. My location directive actions, I use strategy none and keep location blank in edit query form.

Can you give me a hint on how do I pre-assign location when work is created?

Thanks.

Suggested Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 6 Oct 2014 5:19 AM

What about your work template? Does that only have 2 steps (Pick/Put pair)?

And how large is your order? Will it all fit into this one location? (Do you have location stocking limits setup?)

You can try to look at the Work creation history log under Inquries menu - maybe you'll be able to tell the reason your location directive failed there.

Jefry Then responded on 6 Oct 2014 12:50 PM

Yes, I only have 2 steps, pick and put pair.

Previously I have set location stocking limit, but now I delete the setup and still can't get suggest location shown.

Thanks for your reference, I found my error. "Item [Item Id] allocation failed". Any idea what causes this error?

Suggested Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 6 Oct 2014 6:57 PM

Item allocation failed is a rather generic error - that just means it could not find a suitable location for this item. So no help from there narrowing down your setup issue.

I remember seeing a bug at some point, where NO stocking limit at all meant 0 is allowed.

Can you try adding a line in the stocking limits for the location profile ID of the location you expect the put to happen to (which is in your location directive query), and mark the Unlimited quantity check box?

I am out of other ideas for now, so you'll need to feed us with more of your setup data, ideally with screenshots, to help move this investigation along.

Jefry Then responded on 7 Oct 2014 1:09 AM

This is my latest configuration for PO inbound. There are some changes due to my test, however still result in empty suggest location.

http://1drv.ms/1vJW05X

Please let me know if you need more information on my setup.

Verified Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 7 Oct 2014 2:58 AM

- Your location directive should not have MultiSKU marked.

- Your location directive lines #1 should ideally have "Allow split" marked.

Your second line is a bit odd - remove it.

- Your mobile device menu item should not have "Display disposition code" marked. (nor the display batch disposition code)

I will explain what each of those above means once you try it out and confirm that it resolves your issue

Jefry Then responded on 7 Oct 2014 3:19 AM

Success. Completely resolve my issue. Now suggest location return a location every time I click.

What's wrong with my setup?

Suggested Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 7 Oct 2014 7:40 AM

So, the MultiSKU flag on a location directive only works for work lines that are trying to handle "multiple" items - typically the case, when you move items to Stage/Pack/QMS areas. In your case, you did not have this intermittent step in your workflow (based on your work template).

Allow split on the location directive line means you can split up the work line, so only part of the work line quantity uses the location found through this location directive line actions. This makes sense when your work line is for a large quantity, and needs to be split across multiple locations.

The second line in your example had the unit set to Pallet on the line - that means that this line will only ever be considred if the first one did not success, and the work line is in the corresponding PL unit. Since eaches is smaller than PL, the first location directive line would always succeed before this second pallet line. If you wanted to do special handling of PL lines, you should move it up in sequence, so it's evaluated first.

Your mobile device had Show disposition code selected - that means that you will be asked to enter a disposition code when receiving the goods. But that also means, that only location directives with the corresponding disposition code will be considered when selecting a location. In your setup you did not have directive codes specified on any of your location directives.

Hope that makes more sense now.

Jefry Then responded on 7 Oct 2014 9:16 AM

That's very clear. Thanks for your help and explanation Ivan. I will try update my setup and test some scenarios based on your explanation separately.

Jen Johnson Socius responded on 17 Nov 2014 4:46 PM
Jefry Then

Hi,

When I try to put away a purchase order, we can choose suggest location menu in mobile device. But if I click on it, they return nothing. Anyone knows what I'm missing? How does "suggest location" logic work?

Jefry

This blog entry saved me hours of trial and error on my setup - thank you!
Bella N responded on 23 Jun 2015 1:34 AM

Hi All,

I have simulated your suggestions here but still no Location is suggested on Put-away Process. Can you please help me find the possible cause? Thank you..

Bella

Mustafa-Chohan responded on 3 Jul 2016 9:50 AM

I am able to get the suggest locations using steps above. I am using Fixed Locations so portal suggest only location that is applicable to an item I am receiving. But the problem is , if I keep pressing the suggest location button it then return nothing. Ideally it should start from the first suggestion once it completes its suggestions.

Any idea?

Rivenle responded on 27 Sep 2016 1:52 AM

I  solved my problem by clearing the disposition code check box in the mobile device menu item. Thanks a lot~

Verified Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 7 Oct 2014 2:58 AM

- Your location directive should not have MultiSKU marked.

- Your location directive lines #1 should ideally have "Allow split" marked.

Your second line is a bit odd - remove it.

- Your mobile device menu item should not have "Display disposition code" marked. (nor the display batch disposition code)

I will explain what each of those above means once you try it out and confirm that it resolves your issue

Suggested Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 5 Oct 2014 4:30 AM

It uses the location directives same as when the work is created, with the difference being that the locations already suggested that you did not "like" will be excluded, so a new location is suggested

From your question I assume you did not actually get a location pre-assigned on the work created, most probably due to some errors in your location directives setup.

That also means that clicking on "Suggest location" will not get you any further in getting a location, until you fix the location directive setup

Suggested Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 6 Oct 2014 5:19 AM

What about your work template? Does that only have 2 steps (Pick/Put pair)?

And how large is your order? Will it all fit into this one location? (Do you have location stocking limits setup?)

You can try to look at the Work creation history log under Inquries menu - maybe you'll be able to tell the reason your location directive failed there.

Suggested Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 6 Oct 2014 6:57 PM

Item allocation failed is a rather generic error - that just means it could not find a suitable location for this item. So no help from there narrowing down your setup issue.

I remember seeing a bug at some point, where NO stocking limit at all meant 0 is allowed.

Can you try adding a line in the stocking limits for the location profile ID of the location you expect the put to happen to (which is in your location directive query), and mark the Unlimited quantity check box?

I am out of other ideas for now, so you'll need to feed us with more of your setup data, ideally with screenshots, to help move this investigation along.

Suggested Answer
Ivan Kashperuk responded on 7 Oct 2014 7:40 AM

So, the MultiSKU flag on a location directive only works for work lines that are trying to handle "multiple" items - typically the case, when you move items to Stage/Pack/QMS areas. In your case, you did not have this intermittent step in your workflow (based on your work template).

Allow split on the location directive line means you can split up the work line, so only part of the work line quantity uses the location found through this location directive line actions. This makes sense when your work line is for a large quantity, and needs to be split across multiple locations.

The second line in your example had the unit set to Pallet on the line - that means that this line will only ever be considred if the first one did not success, and the work line is in the corresponding PL unit. Since eaches is smaller than PL, the first location directive line would always succeed before this second pallet line. If you wanted to do special handling of PL lines, you should move it up in sequence, so it's evaluated first.

Your mobile device had Show disposition code selected - that means that you will be asked to enter a disposition code when receiving the goods. But that also means, that only location directives with the corresponding disposition code will be considered when selecting a location. In your setup you did not have directive codes specified on any of your location directives.

Hope that makes more sense now.