Personalized Community is here!
Quickly customize your community to find the content you seek.
Choose your path Increase your proficiency with the Dynamics 365 applications that you already use and learn more about the apps that interest you. Up your game with a learning path tailored to today's Dynamics 365 masterminds and designed to prepare you for industry-recognized Microsoft certifications.
Visit Microsoft Learn
2020 release wave 1Discover the latest updates and new features to Dynamics 365 planned through September 2020
Release overview guides and videos Release Plan | Preview 2020 Release Wave 1 TimelineWatch the 2020 Release Wave 1 virtual launch event
Ace your Dynamics 365 deployment with packaged services delivered by expert consultants. | Explore service offerings
Connect with the ISV success team on the latest roadmap, developer tool for AppSource certification, and ISV community engagements | ISV self-service portal
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks
I am a newbie to Dynamics365 and portals and have this urgent requirment:
" Need to configure my client's licensed portal with dev instance"
I have few questions regarding the same
1) to configure/provision the customer portal the link to be followed are in these steps right ? (https://community.dynamics.com/enterprise/b/dynamics365apps/archive/2016/12/05/provisioning-dynamics-365-portal)
2) I want to know,when later i want to redirect my configuration of this customer portal from dev instance to say Production. How do i do that ? and does the license expires or can only be used for 1 instance(meaning 1 portal license for dev and sep for Prod?
I have read this stuff( https://www.crmsoftwareblog.com/2017/07/microsoft-dynamics-365-portal-strengths-weaknesses-review/ ) an it confuses me like hell , screenshots are from below blog.(What is emant by tenant here, different instance within same Office 365 subscription?)
Please help me at urgent with this. I will be very grateful
Hi Pallavi,1) Yes, the link has the correct steps.2) For portal deployment, you need to use Configuration Migration tool. Or you can use the tool available in XRM Toolbox "Portal Record Mover". Regarding licensing, it depends upon your plan. If you have Microsoft Dynamics 365, Enterprise edition then you get one portal instance. However you can purchase additional portal instances as well.PS: I recently ran into the similar situation. My client has just one free portal license. So we use the portal initially against the Dev version. Once the development was done, we switched the Dynamics 365 instance from Dev to Prod and did a portal record migration from Dev to prod.I hope this helps. If my post answers your question, please mark as "Verified"
Thank you for such a qucik and detailed response :)
I will be grateful to you,if you can pease throw some light point 2:
1)do you mean ? ur client had only 1 free portal license(i.e MS dynamics 365 Enterprise edition)? and you moved that 1 free License from Dev to Prod using Portal Record migration tool in XRM toolbox ?
2)are there any referential links on web for the same?how much this process takes?
3) say Customer portal on Dev environment(Can i customize it ?), If I did and now i want ot move this to the rod environment can i do this via the tool u mentioned?
4)if my client purchases say additional licenses, and assuming i can customiza this portal , so how will i redirect the same portal created to different instance say prod? in the link shared above there is a section "Portal Actions"which says you can update your dyanmics 365 portal. Is it referring to the case here i have more than 1 license?
Thanks a ton!
1) yes, we had only one portal instance which we used against the dev organization. Post development, we switch the dynamics CRM instance from Dev to Prod, followed by portal data migration.
2) Reference link for Switching CRM instance or data migration?
3) Yes, you can customize and once done, you can do a migration after switching the crm instance from dev to prod. Yes you need to use either of the tools.
4) No, even if you have 2 portals. You have to do the deployment [data migration] from dev portal to prod. In this scenario, the only difference is that you will have dev & prod portals at the same time whereas in previous you will have one portal which you first use with dev crm and then later use it for prod.
1) Provision a portal against your dev CRM instance
2)Customize it as per your needs. This customization will create records in your Dev CRM instance.
3) Once the UAT is signed off, from the Portal admin, change the Dnamics CRM instance to prod.
4) Now your portal is linked to Prod but all the customization is in your Dev
5) So now you need to do a data migration to move all the record (Entity list, forms, web role, permissions etc) from Dev crm to Prod crm
6) All done :)
I hope this helps. If my post answers your question, please mark as "Verified"
Business Applications communities