Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / Move sandbox database ...
Finance forum
Answered

Move sandbox database to VM

Posted on by 8
If I want to move the data i have on the sandbox into my virtual machine is it as simple as exporting the data from LCS and then uploading it inside my VM through SSMS as shown in this tutorial:
https://community.dynamics.com/blogs/post/?postid=19efe83c-afab-437b-be79-341dcebf3f4a
  • Move sandbox database to VM
    The problem for me / us is that we loose traceability of what comes into our systems, and how it was deployed. I.e. we cannot see the code that got compiled into the binary, the compiler that was used and what F&O artifacts was downloaded, the configuration of the build/deployment pipelines, logs of the build and so on. So It's a major risk factor. 
  • CU03091226-0 Profile Picture
    CU03091226-0 8 on at
    Noted. Can you please explain a bit more why it is not ideal to generate the deployment packages from the VM?
  • Move sandbox database to VM
    Yes, exactly. I have used Azure DevOps for all of my (former) customers.

It's possible to use GitHub using FSC-PS and I'm using it for some of my private projects. It's not supported by Microsoft so your mileage may vary .

CU03091226-0 8 on at
    You mean generating the deployment package from Azure DevOps through the pipelines correct? But how would you be able to do that from Github?
  • Verified answer
    No, it's two separate systems. The deployable package is not related to the database.

Just out of curiosity, what do want to do? Ideally, if it's not for demo or training, deployable packages should not be generated from a development VM but from Azure DevOps or GitHub.

CU03091226-0 8 on at
    Do we require a connection to the database if i want to create a deployment package? If i wan to create a deployable package from a VM which is not related to the same project which is on LCS, will there be any issues or is the deployment package not related to the database.
  • Suggested answer
    Hi,
    Partially, you should avoid using SSMS to import .bacpac files, and instead use SQLPackage. 
    D365FO.Toolbox contains a really good wrapper for it, that makes it easy to use: How To Import Bacpac Into Tier1 · d365collaborative/d365fo.tools Wiki (github.com)

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,572 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,792 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans