Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 general forum
Answered

Can We Allow Users to Set Default Dashboard without Personalization Options Write Access

Posted on by 30

I have a custom scenario where users should not be able to edit their Personalization Settings after their initial setup. This is working as expected using a custom security role that does not provide write access to the User Settings entity. Users will be able to view their Personalization Settings but will not have the ability to save any changes.

However, these users would still like to be able to set their Default Dashboard from the ribbon bar in Dynamics (shown below).

pastedimage1644425330900v1.png

My understanding is that this requires the write access to the User Settings entity so this would be impossible without that privilege.

Does anyone know if its possible to enable this feature but still prevent access to Personalization Settings? As an alternative would it be possible to edit the ribbon to hide the Personalization Settings button under certain conditions or would there still be ways for the users to get into and edit these values from elsewhere in the system?

Thanks in advance

• LeeHarris Profile Picture
    LeeHarris 30 on at
    RE: Can We Allow Users to Set Default Dashboard without Personalization Options Write Access

Thanks for the confirmation that the form is not editable, and also the idea with the plugin. I may give that a shot and see if it can achieve what we are after. It certainly sounds promising.

• Verified answer
    a33ik Profile Picture
    a33ik 84,321 Most Valuable Professional on at
    RE: Can We Allow Users to Set Default Dashboard without Personalization Options Write Access

Hello,
    Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, that form is not customizable.
    I have an idea you can work with (no guarantee that it'll work though):
    1. Create (or define an existing) role that will serve as a marker that the user is allowed to change those fields (I believe that someone anyway will be allowed to change those fields).
    2. Develop a plugin that will handle the update of usersettings records that will do the following:

2.1. Check if the fields you want to be not editable are in the context for the update. If no - just leave the execution.

2.2. Query roles of the current user - if role created at the step 1 is not available - throw an exception to stop the save.

This won't look fancy but it should work.

And, obviously, you will have to give all users privileges to edit the usersettings entity.

• LeeHarris Profile Picture
    LeeHarris 30 on at

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. The write privilege for the User Settings was removed to prevent users from editing the fields on the email tab shown below to meet a business requirement. Is there any other way to lock this one tab in the Personalization Settings window?

pastedimage1644486409267v1.png

• a33ik Profile Picture
    a33ik 84,321 Most Valuable Professional on at

Hello,

I'm afraid there is no good way of doing it without massive development. Just curious - what's the problem in giving users privileges to modify their settings?

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates