Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Unanswered

Dynamics Task Recorder - X++ code generation

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

hi , How to generate the X++ code from the recording file generated by the Dynamics 365 -task recorder ? Please let me know .

• Martin Dráb Profile Picture
    Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User on at
    RE: Dynamics Task Recorder - X++ code generation

I've never heard about anything called "Dynamics 365 SDK" (and there simply can't be any common Dynamics 365 SDK, at least not now), that's why I wanted to you to tell us what you mean by that.

You mention adding something to Visual Studio, so I guess you don't have any AX (= Operations) development environment and you hope that installing Dynamics 365 for Operations Developer Tools to your Visual Studio will do the trick. If it's a good guess, you're wrong - you can't do that; you would miss a plenty of crucial things outside VS. You have to use a DEV machine prepared by Microsoft, either by deploying it to Azure from LCS or download a virtual machine to run locally.

If my guess was wrong, please explain what you mean by "Dynamics 365 SDK".

Notice that I didn't mention Task Recorder even once, because it has nothing to do with it. I think it would be reasonable to create one thread about how to set up you environment and other threads about particular developer tasks.

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Hi Martin , this is related to Dynamics AX - Task Recorder X++ code generation . I am trying to find out the way to generate the X++ code from the recordings to add my program logic in it . I thought , if I add Dynamics 365 SDK to visual studio to edit the recordings .

You'll have to tell us what you mean by Dynamics 365 SDK. Don't forget that "Dynamics 365" is just a name of the package including several different products without a common SDK (in the same way as Office 365 include products like Word and SharePoint). (I moved your this thread here because Task Recorder and X++ are clearly about Dynamics 365 for Operations, formerly known as Dynamics AX.)

Nevertheless if it's not related to "Task Recorder - X++ code generation", let's continue with this topic to a separate thread.

Back to the topic - what exactly do you mean by replaying it again? Creating a test, as I mentioned? Generating a task guide? Or something else?

Hi Martin , I could not find the the Dynamics 365 SDK in the net , can you please guide me here ? Thanks .

Hi Martin , Thanks a lot for your quick response.

The objective it to  add my logic in to the recording file generated by the task recorder . I assume, if i generate the X++ code for the recording , I could add my code in to it and replay the recording again . Please let me know if it is possible .

If you mean generating code for automated testing, use Dynamics 365 > Addins > Import Task Recording in Visual Studio.

If you want some other code, please tell us more than just that it should be something in X++.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans