Skip to main content

Notifications

Dynamics 365 general forum
Answered

Dynamics 365 & Microsoft Teams Integration: Capture Teams Chat on the Dynamics 365 records?

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

Hello Community,

When integrating Dynamics 365 with Microsoft Teams, we can collaborate on a particular Dynamics 365 entity record in Teams in one of the Teams channels. Out of the box, is there a way to automatically capture the chat in the Teams channel on the Dynamics 365 entity record that's being collaborated on in the integration? For example, I would like to capture the chat history related to the Dynamics 365 record that members are collaborating on in Teams, under the Timeline section of the Dynamics 365 record, either as activities, or notes, or others. Can this be done out of the box, or would this require additional implementation such as using Power Automate?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Jayakumar JD Profile Picture
    Jayakumar JD 5 on at
    RE: Dynamics 365 & Microsoft Teams Integration: Capture Teams Chat on the Dynamics 365 records?

Hi,

I want to create a teams chat and link it to my work order programmatically. How can I achieve this. The links you provided does not have any information on how to do this using plugins/workflows/power automate/apps/etc.

Thanks.

• Verified answer
    Wahaj Rashid Profile Picture
    Wahaj Rashid 11,319 on at
    RE: Dynamics 365 & Microsoft Teams Integration: Capture Teams Chat on the Dynamics 365 records?

Hi,

It's my pleasure.

For your query on the license, as per my understanding, Teams user must be a Dynamics 365 CE user (which requires a license) in order to view D365 data in Teams.

Read-only or not, depends on the user's privileges on the pinned record.

To elaborate further, In Enhanced Collaboration, when a user pins D365 data in a Team where non-D365 users exist, they should not able to see the data.

I guess, this is for security reasons.

Best,

Wahaj

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Thanks Wahaj for the confirmation!

By the way, for the Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Teams integration, am I correct that if the user in Teams only requires "Read" access to the Dynamics 365 record, that user does not need to have a Dynamics 365 license in order to view (and view only) the Dynamics 365 record inside Teams?

• Suggested answer

Hi,

I'm sorry, I missed the chat part.

I'm afraid, for now, OOB connector lacks this feature.

The idea is proposed here, let's up-vote it:

https://experience.dynamics.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=a560fff7-600c-ea11-b863-0003ff68a4d6

If come across any quick solution/workaround, I will let you know.

Best,

Wahaj

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Hi Wahaj,

Thanks for your reply. I am afraid you might have misunderstood my question. If I may clarify, I understand Dynamics 365 Online integrates with Microsoft Teams, and we can work with Dynamics 365 records within the Teams channel. My question is: will the Teams chat appear automatically under the Timeline area of the Dynamics 365 record? When I tried this, it appears Teams chat will not be captured automatically under the Timeline area of the Dynamics 365 record. Is this possible out of the box - is there a setting somewhere that I might have missed?

Hope that helps clarify my question.

Thanks for your insights!

• Verified answer

Hi,

Yes, Dynamics 365 Model-Driven Apps integrate OOB with Microsoft Teams.

For now, this is only available for D365 Online (it won't work on-premise OOB).

You can enable it in System Settings:

Here is the complete documentation:

docs.microsoft.com/.../teams-integration

A quick demo video:

https://youtu.be/u0DaRzZDAPc

Here are the installation and setup instructions:

docs.microsoft.com/.../teams-install-app

Let me know if you need detailed steps or help in the configuration.

Good Luck!

Best,

Wahaj

(if it helps, mark it verified)

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,753 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,302 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans