SBX - Forum Post Title

Business Rule Scope: Entity vs All Forms

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

J M asked a question on 29 Jul 2015 6:09 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

Hi, 

When creating a Business rule you have the option to set the scope. What is the difference between Entity and All Forms? 

Rajkumar Rajaraman responded on 29 Jul 2015 6:13 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

JD,

If business rule is created with scope as “Entity” then the business rules will execute server side. This means that you do not need the CRM form for the rules to be executed. It can also be executed when you do updates to a record programmatically similar to the concept of Workflows and Plugins

Refer the following blog:

inogic.com/.../business-rule-updates-in-dynamics-crm-2015

Hope this helps.

Regards,

R.Rajkumar

"Please mark my answer as verified if you found it helpful"

Rajkumar Rajaraman responded on 29 Jul 2015 6:17 AM
My Badges
J M responded on 29 Jul 2015 6:27 AM
My Badges

Thanks for the information. It seems like entity is probably what I'm after then.

When faced with the two options, why would you not want it to execute server side? 

J M responded on 29 Jul 2015 6:35 AM
My Badges

I guess if someone wanted to localise the changes to a single client?

Mahender responded on 29 Jul 2015 6:35 AM
My Badges

Hello,

It depends on the requirement actually, when you just want to run your business rule at client side only, you won't select entity.

A simple example of hiding fields, you want to when user will open records based on some value specific field should be hidden using business rule.

Hope it will help.

Rajkumar Rajaraman responded on 29 Jul 2015 6:36 AM
My Badges

Walkthrough the following blog. It explains the limitations of Business Rule

community.dynamics.com/.../crm-2013-business-rule-workings-limitations-and-exam-notes

J M responded on 29 Jul 2015 7:31 AM
My Badges

Thanks for the info, I have one more question about Client vs Server side not being technical myself.

If 'All Forms' only executes the Business Rule Client side, does that mean the Business Rule is carried out for the one client who creates the business rule, or all clients?

I'm assuming client side means the Business Rule applies to the client that created it, and Server side executes the Business Rule for all clients?

Is that correct?

Mahender responded on 29 Jul 2015 7:57 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Hello,

Here Client means the browser, if your business rules are not published using Entity, it will only run client side (browser), it does not means to specific user.

So for example I am changing something in entity form field associated with the business rule, it will fire . But if I am updating entity data using service call/SDK which do changes in server, business rule won't fire.

But in case of server side business rule, it will fire in above case.

Hope it will help.

J M responded on 29 Jul 2015 8:25 AM
My Badges

That's great thanks.

MANIKANTA CRM responded on 23 May 2017 5:24 AM
My Badges

hi On account i wrote  a js cript on click of button to set a field value.On setting i made a BR to lock the field here scope is ACCOUNT as u said the field changing by JS so to excecute BR scope should be ENTITY. the logic has excuted though here account is my scope why?

Kripa Rai responded on 8 Mar 2018 4:39 AM

Yes It is working perfectly. 

Mohammad Arif responded on 8 Mar 2018 4:43 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Entity scope will work on server level(Entity) and All form will be applicable on all entity forms(Client side).

MaKeer responded on 28 Aug 2018 3:30 PM

I have situation which arise due to use of Entity level Business Rules

I had a Business Rule with Scope as Entity. This rule was primarily making Certain fields visible and Certain fields  hidden. This rule got applied to all the Cases in system. Now I no more have requirement to hide and show fields and all fields should be visible. So I deactivated the Business Rule, this works correctly for all the Cases created after deactivating BR. However for all those previous Cases where BR got applied earlier on Entity (Server side) level are continued to hide those fields on form. 

How do I reset business rules on all those Cases to basically removed the rule it has applied?

Thanks

Anand Wani responded on 5 Sep 2018 5:25 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Business Rules Scope

There are three options possible for the scope of a business rule;

1. Single Form Scope – Use this when a business rule specifically applies to a single form. It involves selecting a specific form name.
  2. All Forms – Use this to apply the business rule to all forms. (Including main and quick create forms.)
  3. Entity – Use this to run the business rule at a form and server level. (Server level being triggered by a create or update of data.) Useful if the rule is to be applied not only on forms but when data is imported. Also useful if the business rule is to be applied to editable grids.

Thanks,

Anand Wani

Anand Wani responded on 5 Sep 2018 5:58 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

The business rule won't work in all exiting records without you updating the record. If you want to apply change to all existing records the you might want to configure a workflow, bulk edit or other job to apply the change on all records.

Rajkumar Rajaraman responded on 29 Jul 2015 6:13 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

JD,

If business rule is created with scope as “Entity” then the business rules will execute server side. This means that you do not need the CRM form for the rules to be executed. It can also be executed when you do updates to a record programmatically similar to the concept of Workflows and Plugins

Refer the following blog:

inogic.com/.../business-rule-updates-in-dynamics-crm-2015

Hope this helps.

Regards,

R.Rajkumar

"Please mark my answer as verified if you found it helpful"

Mahender responded on 29 Jul 2015 7:57 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Hello,

Here Client means the browser, if your business rules are not published using Entity, it will only run client side (browser), it does not means to specific user.

So for example I am changing something in entity form field associated with the business rule, it will fire . But if I am updating entity data using service call/SDK which do changes in server, business rule won't fire.

But in case of server side business rule, it will fire in above case.

Hope it will help.

Mohammad Arif responded on 8 Mar 2018 4:43 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Entity scope will work on server level(Entity) and All form will be applicable on all entity forms(Client side).

Anand Wani responded on 5 Sep 2018 5:25 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Business Rules Scope

There are three options possible for the scope of a business rule;

1. Single Form Scope – Use this when a business rule specifically applies to a single form. It involves selecting a specific form name.
  2. All Forms – Use this to apply the business rule to all forms. (Including main and quick create forms.)
  3. Entity – Use this to run the business rule at a form and server level. (Server level being triggered by a create or update of data.) Useful if the rule is to be applied not only on forms but when data is imported. Also useful if the business rule is to be applied to editable grids.

Thanks,

Anand Wani

Anand Wani responded on 5 Sep 2018 5:58 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

The business rule won't work in all exiting records without you updating the record. If you want to apply change to all existing records the you might want to configure a workflow, bulk edit or other job to apply the change on all records.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS