SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

CRM Workflow: Send Email Action - "From" field greyed out

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

DWahry asked a question on 22 Jun 2016 7:35 PM

Question Status

Suggested Answer

A client of mine is experiencing problems with one of their workflows since CRM Online 2016 Update 1 went through.  I said I would rebuild it but when I add the "Send Email" action and try to change the "From" field, it is greyed out and not selectable. Anyone else had this problem recently?

Varsha Deshpande responded on 22 Jun 2016 10:35 PM
My Badges

Hi,

I never faced this problem but once check email main form whether the "from" field is read only. If field read -only is checked then uncheck it and try your workflow once. You can check this by creating a new email or in Customizations > entities> emails > main form.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Varsha Deshpande

DWahry responded on 23 Jun 2016 12:20 AM

Hi Varsha, Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I went and checked, and the field wasn't locked or read only.

Certius responded on 22 Jul 2016 2:33 AM
My Badges

I have the exact same problem, did you find a solution?

Chris Doran responded on 28 Jul 2016 2:38 AM
Suggested Answer

Hi.

I had this exact problem and got a solution from Microsoft support.

What you need to do is as follows:

• Create a new solution and add in the 'from' field from the email entity - just that nothing else from the email entity
  • Export the solution as an unmanaged solution
  • Edit customizations.xml and look for the line that says

<LookupTypes />

• Replace that line with:

<LookupTypes>               

<LookupType id="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000">8</LookupType>

<LookupType id="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000">2020</LookupType>

</LookupTypes>

• Put the new customizations.xml back in the solution zip file replacing the existing one
  • Import the solution back in

I have a solution that contains the fix above - message me back with your email address if you want me to send it.

Chris

Certius responded on 28 Jul 2016 2:48 AM
My Badges

Great! That fixed it! Thank you so much Chris!!!!

Arnaud Q responded on 25 Aug 2016 2:22 AM

Thank you. It works for me as well on CRM 2016 (on premise)

Hardik Patel responded on 13 Dec 2016 3:07 PM
My Badges

Can you send me the solution. Cheers

Sollidius responded on 13 Dec 2016 3:17 PM

The solution is three posts up :)

Chris Doran responded on 14 Dec 2016 2:45 AM

If you post your email address I will send you the solution directly.

JVE responded on 27 Jan 2017 7:12 AM
My Badges

Had the exact problem and this one solved it.

mark.b responded on 24 Feb 2017 1:14 PM

Chris Doran's solution worked for me on CRM Online 2016 8.1.0.569. Thanks Chris!

BAYRAM TUGCU responded on 16 Mar 2017 2:54 AM
Suggested Answer

Hello  ,

I made a change Chris Doran  said  , but I am editing. I import later. And when I export, no changes are visible. Crm  , does not accept customizations.xml change.  Why does it happen?Hope this helps.

belval01 responded on 19 Sep 2017 1:47 PM

Hi Chris,

We are having the same issues since we have installed the SP1. Can you send me the solution ? We have followed the steps but we can't find the line that says <LookupTypes />. How is that possible ?

Thanks,

Valerie (valbelanger73@gmail.com)

Shaun Wilkinson responded on 6 Feb 2018 11:48 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Just to add-on to this as I went around and around wondering why the proposed solutions didn't work for me.

When modifying customizations.xml, if you've not previously modified this field or the email entity there are two further changes you need to make to the file. Locate the entity tag near the top and change 'unmodified' to 0 from 1 and do the same change to the <Attribute> tag.

I've documented the entire process in detail on my blog - https://spandcrm.com/2018/02/06/dynamics-365-email-from-field-grayed-out-locked-read-only/

Bartek Bialik responded on 24 Apr 2018 9:21 AM
My Badges

Hello,

Is that possible with Opportunity? It's greyed out for some reason, and I need it to track mails on it automatically.

Chris Doran responded on 28 Jul 2016 2:38 AM
Suggested Answer

Hi.

I had this exact problem and got a solution from Microsoft support.

What you need to do is as follows:

• Create a new solution and add in the 'from' field from the email entity - just that nothing else from the email entity
  • Export the solution as an unmanaged solution
  • Edit customizations.xml and look for the line that says

<LookupTypes />

• Replace that line with:

<LookupTypes>               

<LookupType id="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000">8</LookupType>

<LookupType id="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000">2020</LookupType>

</LookupTypes>

• Put the new customizations.xml back in the solution zip file replacing the existing one
  • Import the solution back in

I have a solution that contains the fix above - message me back with your email address if you want me to send it.

Chris

BAYRAM TUGCU responded on 16 Mar 2017 2:54 AM
Suggested Answer

Hello  ,

I made a change Chris Doran  said  , but I am editing. I import later. And when I export, no changes are visible. Crm  , does not accept customizations.xml change.  Why does it happen?Hope this helps.

Shaun Wilkinson responded on 6 Feb 2018 11:48 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Just to add-on to this as I went around and around wondering why the proposed solutions didn't work for me.

When modifying customizations.xml, if you've not previously modified this field or the email entity there are two further changes you need to make to the file. Locate the entity tag near the top and change 'unmodified' to 0 from 1 and do the same change to the <Attribute> tag.

I've documented the entire process in detail on my blog - https://spandcrm.com/2018/02/06/dynamics-365-email-from-field-grayed-out-locked-read-only/

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS