CRM 2016: hide system views from the list of views

Question Status

Verified
Ivan Z asked a question on 14 Sep 2016 5:03 AM

Hello guys,

We have CRM 2016 on-premise.

Is there a way to hide system views for a particular entity from the list of available system views? The problem is we use some system views for sub-grids on Entity form, thus those views are automatically available in the list of system views, so the list is overloaded with items, which are not used by users.

So I want those views that are used in sub-grids, to be available only there and hidden from the general list of views for the entity.

e.g. I have an Account entity. On Account form I have a sub-grid with Opportunities and 3 views available in the grid: Open Opportunities, Won Opportunities, Lost Opportunities. I want these 3 views to be only available in the grid. I don't want these views to be available in the list of system views for Opportunity. 

Hope I described it clearly.

Thanks!

Ivan

Mark Christie responded on 14 Sep 2016 5:15 AM

Hi Ivan

If you edit the form you can change the view selector on the subgrid, You can also change it so that no other views can be shown or select the relevent ones that you need to shar with them

Ivan Z responded on 14 Sep 2016 5:24 AM

Thanks for answer!

But my problem is that I have specific system views (designed for grids and dashboards) and I don't want them to be in a general list of system views available for users. Now user can go to Opportunity and in a list of system views choose the view that was designed for grid, thus not informative and useless.

So I wonder is there a way (I accept custom development) to hide such views.

Mark Christie responded on 14 Sep 2016 5:29 AM

If you go to the view selector you can select and unselect any views - So all you would need to do is select the ones that are needed and untick the ones that are not

Ivan Z responded on 14 Sep 2016 5:41 AM

Yes, but I can't do this for the Entity itself - so if I have a system view that is used for the grid it will be shown in the list of available views.

Example.

I have a grid with opportunities on Account. In a grid, I have a special system view called Grid View.

If I navigate to Opportunities, in a list of available views for Opportunity entity (Open Opportunities, Won Opportunities, Lost etc.) I will have that Grid View. I don't want to have it there. I only want that view to be available on a grid and nowhere else.

Verified Answer
Luke Sartain responded on 14 Sep 2016 5:44 AM

Hi Ivan

Unfortunately it's all or nothing so you cannot hide views from that list.

Ivan Z responded on 14 Sep 2016 7:31 AM

Hi Luke,

Even with some custom development?

Luke Sartain responded on 14 Sep 2016 8:03 AM

It may be possible using unsupported methods but I wouldn't know for sure or where to start looking.  Even if it were possible that way I don't think you would find many who would recommend it as it would leave you system susceptible to breaking on upgrade.  Apologies, probably not the answer you wanted!

Ivan Z responded on 14 Sep 2016 8:07 AM

Thanks for that!

Just wanted to be sure that there is no supported or some "available" solution to solve this.

Suggested Answer
Nithin.K responded on 16 Sep 2016 7:53 AM

you can hide the view please find the link rolebasedviews.codeplex.com...

but this is for any particular role just give a try  

Suggested Answer
OldCat65 responded on 10 Aug 2017 12:38 AM

Hi Ivan!
Do not believe what they say here. Your problem is solved very simply. You need to deactivate those views that you do not want to see in the lists.

Settings > Customizations > Customize the System and оpen the list of Views of the entity you need. Choose the Views you want to hide and deactivate. It's all. Do not forget to Publish all customizations.

Even in the inactive state, Views very well work as a sub-grids on forms!

Good luck,

OldCat

Scott Norton responded on 17 Aug 2017 5:20 PM

OldCat you genius! Ive been wanting a solution (other than role based views) for some time now and this seems to do the trick perfectly!

Suggested Answer
Sandeep Kumar responded on 18 Aug 2017 12:15 AM

Hi Ivan,

You can simply deactivate views from the customization menu.

Please mark as suggested answer, if it helps you.

Suggested Answer
OldCat65 responded on 18 Aug 2017 7:15 AM

Hi Scott!

Be careful! If you modify the form, you will not be able to select an inactive View.

Good luck,

OldCat

PS: Your D365 will be tuned up for $100 p/h (improving Online & On-Premises)

Aje responded on 19 Sep 2017 3:05 AM

Thanks for the tip - however, with the solution of deactivating the view - how do give each view a label on the dashboard?

It seams that the view-dropdown (with the name of the selected view) disappears from the view on the dashboard, when it is inactive, and we can't get the label to appear either.

Suggested Answer
OldCat65 responded on 19 Sep 2017 3:55 AM

Hi Aje!

You'll Activate View, create/modify dashboard, publish and deactivate View back.

OldCat

Verified Answer
Luke Sartain responded on 14 Sep 2016 5:44 AM

Hi Ivan

Unfortunately it's all or nothing so you cannot hide views from that list.

Suggested Answer
Nithin.K responded on 16 Sep 2016 7:53 AM

you can hide the view please find the link rolebasedviews.codeplex.com...

but this is for any particular role just give a try  

Suggested Answer
OldCat65 responded on 10 Aug 2017 12:38 AM

Hi Ivan!
Do not believe what they say here. Your problem is solved very simply. You need to deactivate those views that you do not want to see in the lists.

Settings > Customizations > Customize the System and оpen the list of Views of the entity you need. Choose the Views you want to hide and deactivate. It's all. Do not forget to Publish all customizations.

Even in the inactive state, Views very well work as a sub-grids on forms!

Good luck,

OldCat

Suggested Answer
Sandeep Kumar responded on 18 Aug 2017 12:15 AM

Hi Ivan,

You can simply deactivate views from the customization menu.

Please mark as suggested answer, if it helps you.

Suggested Answer
OldCat65 responded on 18 Aug 2017 7:15 AM

Hi Scott!

Be careful! If you modify the form, you will not be able to select an inactive View.

Good luck,

OldCat

PS: Your D365 will be tuned up for $100 p/h (improving Online & On-Premises)

Suggested Answer
OldCat65 responded on 19 Sep 2017 3:55 AM

Hi Aje!

You'll Activate View, create/modify dashboard, publish and deactivate View back.

OldCat