Try Microsoft Edge
A fast and secure browser that's designed for Windows 10
The year-end update is a key component to the year-end process. It is very important to ensure the year-end install and upgrade goes as smooth as possible. Review the install and upgrade tips below to ensure your year-end update installation is successful!
Install and Upgrade Overview
1. The 2015 year-end release will be available for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 and Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015.
The 2015 U.S. Payroll Year-End Update is currently targeted to release in mid/late November 2015.
The 2015 Canadian Payroll Year-End Update is targeted for early/mid December 2015.
2. Both the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 and Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 releases are MSP files.
3. All MSP files are cumulative. All prior service packs, hotfixes, compliance, and year-end updates are included in the most recent release. For example, R2 is included in the most recent update for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015.
4. The update must be installed at all servers and workstations that have a Microsoft Dynamics GP installation otherwise a version error will occur when launching Microsoft Dynamics GP.
Pre-Install and Upgrade Tips
1. Backup the DYNAMICS database and all company databases prior to installing the year-end update.
2. Export all modified reports and forms to package files. (Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance).
3. Make a backup copy of the modified reports and forms .DIC files. Refer to the Dynamics.set file for the path to the modified .DIC files.
4. Ensure that you have a working backup of any eConnect PRE and POST Procedures if they are customized.
5. Configure a test environment to test the upgrade prior to installing in the live environment. **It is highly recommended to test the year-end update first in a test environment.**
Install and Upgrade Tips 1. The user running the MSP update must have local admin rights on the workstation or server operating system.
2. When installing the update at the first machine, there are two components to the installation: a. Upgrade the application install b. Upgrade DYNAMICS and all company databases and all modified reports and forms in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities
3. Typically, the update is installed at the SQL Server first to upgrade the databases in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities. If a Microsoft Dynamics GP installation does not exist at the SQL Server, the databases can be updated from the first client workstation or Terminal Server.
4. Verify the Microsoft Dynamics GP installation used to upgrade the databases includes all additional product installations. For example, if Project Accounting is used, verify that Project Accounting is installed at the machine where running Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities for the database upgrade.
5. If the installation of the MSP fails, refer to the Windows Installer Log or Windows Event Viewer for more information. Refer to KB 2545723 for steps to create a Windows Installer Log.
KB 2545723 - How to Capture a Windows Installer Log http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545723
6. Open the Windows Installer Log in a text editor and search for “Return Value 3” to find the failure location in the log.
7. If the installation of the MSP fails, try installing via the command line. Refer to KB 912997 #13 for steps.
KB 912997 - Frequently Asked Questions about the Windows Install MSP files for Microsoft Dynamics GP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912997
8. Enable a Dexsql.log prior to upgrading the databases in Utilities. If an error occurs during the database upgrade, the Dexsql.log can be used to troubleshoot the issue. Refer to KB 850996 for steps.
KB 850996 - How to Enable a Dexsql.log http://support.microsoft.com/kb/850996
9. If the database upgrade fails, do not restore the databases as all troubleshooting can take place at the point of failure.
10. If a red X appears next to the company name in the Update Company window, the table conversion failed. Refer to the Support Information Section of the Upgrade Hot Topic for troubleshooting steps:
Upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/northamerica/GP/support/hot-topics/HOT_TOPIC_MDGP2015Upgrade
Upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/northamerica/GP/support/hot-topics/HOT_TOPIC_MDGP2013Upgrade
11. All modified reports and form dictionaries must be upgraded using the Update Modified Forms and Reports process at the Additional Tasks window in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities.
12. If all modified reports and form dictionaries are shared, only upgrade the dictionaries once.
13. The MSP file can be pushed out to client workstations using Automatic Client Update, Group Policy or other mass deployment tools.
Post-Install and Upgrade Tips 1. Backup the DYNAMICS database and all company databases following the upgrade.
2. Export all modified reports and forms to package files following the upgrade. (Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance).
Assistance for the Year-End Install and Upgrade 1. Microsoft Dynamics GP Support and Services Blog https://community.dynamics.com/product/gp/gptechnical/b/dynamicsgp/default.aspx
2. Microsoft Dynamics Community https://community.dynamics.com/GP/default.aspx 3. Microsoft Dynamics Support https://mbs.microsoft.com/support/newstart.aspx
If you are creating a case with the Technical Support Team, please refer to the routing below to ensure you are routed to the correct Professional for assistance. 1. Assistance with the install of the MSP a. Support Topic Selection: System and Security Setup, Installation, Upgrade and Migrations b. Sub-topic Selection: System Installation
2. Assistance with the database or report/form upgrade in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities a. Support Topic Selection: System and Security Setup, Installation, Upgrade and Migrations b. Sub-topic Selection: System Upgrade
3. Assistance with installing the tax table update in Microsoft Dynamics GP a. Support Topic Selection: Payroll b. Sub-topic Selection: Payroll Tax Update
4. Assistance with Payroll-specific issues related to the Year-End release and procedures a. Support Topic Selection: Payroll b. Sub-topic Selection: Year-End Procedures
KnowledgeBase Articles and Resources 1. 2015 U.S. Payroll Year-End Update for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 Download Page https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/northamerica/GP/downloads/tax-regulatory-updates/usgpye2015
2. 2015 U.S. Payroll Year-End Update for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 Download Page https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/northamerica/GP/downloads/tax-regulatory-updates/usgpye2013
3. Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 Upgrade Hot Topic https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/northamerica/GP/support/hot-topics/HOT_TOPIC_MDGP2015Upgrade 4. Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 Upgrade Hot Topic https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/northamerica/GP/support/hot-topics/HOT_TOPIC_MDGP2013Upgrade
5. KB 2545723 - How to Capture a Windows Installer Log http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545723
6. KB 912997 - Frequently Asked Questions about the Windows Install MSP files for Microsoft Dynamics GP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912997
7. KB 850996 - How to Enable a Dexsql.log http://support.microsoft.com/kb/850996
Be sure to check back to the 2015 Year-End Blog Schedule page to review upcoming blog posts related to Year-End Closing for Dynamics GP and other helpful resource links.
Thank you!Sarah Purdy | SR Technical Advisor | Microsoft Dynamics GP