Personalized Community is here!
Quickly customize your community to find the content you seek.
Have questions on moving to the cloud? Visit the Dynamics 365 Migration Community today! Microsoft’s extensive network of Dynamics AX and Dynamics CRM experts can help.
2022 Release Wave 2Check out the latest updates and new features of Dynamics 365 released from October 2022 through March 2023
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Community | FastTrack Program | Finance and Operations TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks | All TechTalks
Here's what happens:
- an employee sends an e-mail to a single person using Outlook
- the employee uses either the "track" or "set regarding" buttons to track their e-mail
- later, the employee notices that the e-mail record that has been created in CRM now has a number of unrelated companies in the CC field
- the companies in the CC field do not get any e-mails even though they appear in the CC field
- the e-mails visually remain the same in Outlook - the CC field is strangely populated only in CRM
I'm wondering what might be causing this issue and how to resolve it. I have not come across any other similar issues in my Google searches.
Thanks in advance for your help! :)
Are these records sharing the same email address?
Not at all. They're all random companies without e-mail addresses themselves. (The e-mail addresses are stored on the Contact entity.)
Can you show a screenshot of the email?
Try to enable the audit log and see how those companies are added to cc?
I'd rather not show a screenshot just because they're actual company names and to blur them out would defeat the purpose of the screenshot in this case. :P
I enabled audit log and I will update you as the issue continues and I'm able to trace the changes.
I wrote a query last week to show all the records that were connected in this way in CRM. There were about 10,000, all within the last 18 months. I deleted most of the records (in essence, un-associating them with unrelated e-mails).
There was no occurrence of the issue until yesterday.
Now I have an e-mail that has 10,887 companies in the To field (not the CC like before).
I checked the audit log and it shows that the companies were all added the moment the e-mail record was created. We still have no idea how this is happening.
I talked to the sender of the e-mail. She sent it from Outlook, clicking "Track" and then "Set Regarding" and linking the e-mail with an opportunity record.
The problem is resolved!!
It turns out all the companies had one specific person associated with them as a sales rep sort of role. The email address was pulled into a company field to make that sales rep's data more accessible, and CRM tracking thus associated all the companies with that email address whenever an e-mail was sent to that person. I reformatted that field as text, and we no longer have the CC issue. Thanks for all your help!
Business Applications communities