Link outgoing freight (POP doc) to customer invoice (SOP doc)

Link outgoing freight (POP doc) to customer invoice (SOP doc)

This question has suggested answer(s)

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

We are looking for a way to associate outgoing freight charges from 3rd party carriers (not invoiced to customers) with applicable sales invoices in order to better track the profitability of customers.  It seems, to me, that it is the flip-side of landed costs but I have not found a way to link them. Any suggestions?

All Replies
  • Are these freight charges receive/entered via POP?  Or through Payables?  If POP, I had a similar situation where LC would not work to receive these bills for many PO's, so we are going to try to (about to start testing) use the user=defined fields in POP receiving to list the BOL so we could link the receipts together.  I would assume you could do something similar.  With existing functionality, that is all I can think of.  Custom would probably be the cleanest route, but would be a costlier solution.

Dan Liebl, CMA CPIM | Senior Consultant | OTT,Inc | DLiebl@OTT-inc.com

• We had the same issue.  I use the word "had" because we gave up trying to associate the outbound freight costs back to SOP even though it would be extremely useful from a margin review perspective.  One of the largest problems with the idea for us was the UPS and FedEx bills include non-SOP shipments which just added another level of complexity to an already difficult idea (not to mention how to allocate the cost if more than one item is shipped because we wanted to see margin down to the item level as well as rolling up to an overall customer level margin). Great idea, but I don't know of a solution.

• If your Sales Orders and Purchase Orders are related to each other, like a SOP-POP link, it is possible to get that info and put it in a report.

Another option I have used is Extender, to relate a sales order to a purchase order, in order to track the POP freight and SOP freight.

These two are basically two ways to do the same thing, but are useful when the sales orders are directly related to a purchase order.

• JCohen,

I have just added a script to my blog that should address this for you.  Please let me know if you need anything else.

Ron

rldu.wordpress.com/.../sql-scriptssop-to-pop-freight-analysis

Ron Wilson Real Life Dynamics User http://rldu.wordpress.com